Monday, December 30, 2013

Monday: Mailbox/What Am I reading?/Musing

Mailbox Monday is a gathering place for readers to share the books that came into their house last week and explore great book blogs. Mailbox Monday can lead to envy, toppling TBR piles and humongous wish lists. December host is Rose City Reader

I received only four books, thanks to the authors/publicists!

Flush by Jane Clifton

A body washes up on the banks of the Maribyrnong River in flood. Caught in the act of taking his own life, and surrounded by the bloodstained clothes of his wife, Oleg Kransky is a shoe-in for number one suspect. 

But he's not talking. To anyone. 

Oleg's former psychologist, Decca Brand, tells the police that even when Oleg was talking he wasn't telling the truth - about himself or about his wife. 

It's a complicated tale with more twists and turns than a box full of pretzels. 

How much water will it take to flush out a murderer? 


The Memory Key by Conor Fitzgerald

On a freezing November night Commissioner Alec Blume is called to the scene of a shooting.

The victim is Sofia Fontana, the sole witness to a previous killing. Blume’s enquiries lead from a professor with a passion for the art of memory to a hospitalised ex-terrorist whose injuries have left her mind innocently blank; from present day Rome’s criminal underclass, to a murderous train station bombing in central Italy several decades ago. 

Against the advice of his bosses and his own better judgement, Blume is drawn ever deeper into the case, which looks set to derail his troubled relationship with Caterina...



You were loved and lost - then you came back . . .

Five years ago, three-year-old Dillon disappeared. For his father Harry - who left him alone for ten crucial minutes - it was an unforgivable lapse. Yet Dillon's mother Robyn has never blamed her husband: her own secret guilt is burden enough.

Now they're trying to move on, returning home to Dublin to make a fresh start.

But their lives are turned upside down the day Harry sees an eight-year-old boy in the crowd. A boy Harry is convinced is Dillon. But the boy vanishes before he can do anything about it.

What Harry thought he saw quickly plunges their marriage into a spiral of crazed obsession and broken trust, uncovering deceits and shameful secrets. Everything Robyn and Harry ever believed in one another is cast into doubt.

And at the centre of it all is the boy that never was . . .

Tomorrow City by Kirk Kjeldsen

After an armored car robbery goes wrong and leaves four people dead,ex-con Brendan Lavin flees New York City and attempts to start over in Shanghai. But twelve years later, after opening a bakery under an assumed name and starting a family with a local woman, his former colleagues show up and force Brendan to assist in another armed robbery. If he doesn't cooperate, they'll expose him and kill his family. Will Brendan help them pull it off and keep his new life intact? Or will his
past bring him down, destroying everything else along with it? 


Tomorrow City is a riveting crime novel that explores the theme of reinvention in Shanghai, the city that's reinvented itself more than any other in the world over the past generation.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hosted by Sheila @ One Person's Journey Through a World of BooksWe discuss the books that we've read and what we're planning to read for the week. 


I finished reading the following:

Tomorrow City by Kirk Kjeldsen
Flush by Jane Clifton
When the Cookie Crumbles by Virginia Lowell
Caroline by Cynthia Wright
Lost And Found Groom by Patricia McLinn
Father Found by Judith Arnold

I am in the midst of reading:

The Land of Decoration by Grace McCleen
A Soul's Calling by Scott Bishop
The Edge of Normal by Carla Norton
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Musing Mondays asks you to muse about something related to books each week…

• Maybe you just want to ramble on about something else pertaining to books — let’s hear it, then!

I have not read much in 2013. I read 60+ book. That has to change in 2014! I gotta touch the 100 mark!!

18 comments:

Harvee said...

Don't know how my reading will be in 2014. I may try to read less and write more. Crossing my fingers. Happy holidays!

bermudaonion said...

It looks like you're in for some good reading!

Nise' said...

Best of luck with your reading in 2014! The Boy That Never Was sounds intriguing. Happy New Year.

Serena said...

I hope you had a great holiday.
The Boy That Never Was by Karen Perry is a new title to me, but it sounds so good.

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

You have some enticing titles...I'm drawn to The Boy That Never Was.

Enjoy! And thanks for visiting my blog.

Gigi Ann said...

Sounds like you had a good week of reading and receiving books. Have a Happy Reading 2014.

Unknown said...

I also read less than usual this year. Weird.

http://carabosseslibrary.blogspot.com/2013/12/musing-mondays_30.html

Marce said...

The Boy that Never Was sounds like it could be an excellent unreliable character book.

JC Jones said...

I guess reading 100 books is one of your New Year's Resolutions. Good luck!

Cheryl said...

All these books sound wonderful. I put together a new spreadsheet for book reviews so I am ready for 2014. I kind of lost track of my spreadsheet this year as I got busy.

Good luck in reaching your reading goal for next year. Thanks for stopping by The Busy Mom's Daily.

Elizabeth said...

Tomorrow City sounds VERY good.

ENJOY all your books, and thanks for stopping by my blog earlier.

Happy New Year.

International giveaway on my blog on January 2. Hope you can stop by.

Elizabeth
Silver's Reviews
My Mailbox Monday

Yvonne @ Fiction Books Reviews said...

Hi Gautami,

Managing to read more books is an ongoing resolution for me, yet has so far proved so illusive ... Perhaps 2014 will be the turning point, I sincerely hope so!

All of your books sound really good this week, however restricting myself to just one new addition to my list, I shall have to go with 'The Boy That Never Was'.

Despite the fact that the author seems pretty illusive, the book has started to receive some excellent reviews and ratings and the storyline is completely intriguing.

Thank you for stopping by Fiction Books today. Unfortunately, whilst I am able to see your lovely comments, I am unable to reply to any of them, as my own and many others Wordpress admin boards, have developed a so far undiagnosed fault, making them inaccessible. Normal service wil be resumed as soon as possible.

Meantime I wish you and your family every good wish for a happy and healthy New Year,

Yvonne

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

The titles and cover art intrigue me - enjoy.

Happy New Year to you and yours.

Bellezza said...

I like the thrilling quality of the first novels in your post. Already The Boy That Never Was has me intrigued.

Shoshanah said...

I can't imagine being able to read 100 books in a year! This year I just barely made my goal of 70, but I'm thinking I may need to make it a little smaller for 2014.

Book of Secrets said...

The Memory Key sounds exciting!

Lindsey said...

The Boy That Never Was sounds really interesting, although I am very careful about reading those kinds of stories now that I have little people of my own!

Have a Happy New Year!

Mary (Bookfan) said...

I hope each book is a good read!