Monday, December 23, 2013

Monday: Mailbox/What Am I reading?/Musing

Mailbox Monday is a gathering place for readers to share the books that came into their house last week and explore great book blogs. Mailbox Monday can lead to envy, toppling TBR piles and humongous wish lists. December host is Rose City Reader

I received only one book, and I also downloaded a lot of free e-books!


When the body of journalist Jerry Markham is found in a traditional Shetland boat, outside the house of the Fiscal down at the Marina, young Detective Inspector Willow Reeves is drafted in from the Hebrides to head up the investigation.

Since the death of his fiancée, Inspector Jimmy Perez has been out the loop, but his interest in this new case is stirred and he decides to help the inquiry - for Willow, his local knowledge is invaluable as the close-knit community holds many secrets. Markham - originally a Shetlander but who had made a name for himself in London - had left the islands years before to pursue his burgeoning writing career. In his wake, he left a scandal involving a young girl, Evie Watt, who is now engaged to a crofter. He had few friends there, so why was he back in Shetland?

Willow and Jimmy are soon led to Sullom Voe, the heart of Shetland's North Sea oil and gas industry. In a community where traditional values are held very dear by some, the advent of new energies, even renewables, is not always welcome. It emerges that Markham was chasing a story in his final days. One that must have been - for someone - significant enough to warrant his death...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hosted by Sheila @ One Person's Journey Through a World of BooksWe discuss the books that we've read and what we're planning to read for the week. 


I finished reading the following:

Love's Fate by Tracy Smith
Coulson's Wife by Anna J. McIntyre
Lemon: 50+ Recipes by Pamesh Y

I am in the midst of reading:

The Land of Decoration by Grace McCleen
A Soul's Calling by Scott Bishop
The Aryavarta Chronicles Book 1: Govinda by Krishna Udayasankar
The Edge of Normal by Carla Norton
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Musing Mondays asks you to muse about something related to books each week…

• Maybe you just want to ramble on about something else pertaining to books — let’s hear it, then!

I am on book acquiring spree! But my reading is so SLOW right now! 

6 comments:

Nise' said...

I've got to read all the free books I download! Enjoy your reading.

Vicki said...

All your books are new to me! I hope you enjoy them all!

Anonymous said...

Mine has already slowed down! Lol they sound interesting though.

Sonia Lal

Elizabeth said...

Dead Water sounds good...ENJOY!!

Have a great Christmas week.

Elizabeth
Silver's Reviews
My Mailbox Monday

bermudaonion said...

I hope you have another great week in books.

Anonymous said...

I go through periods where all I do is buy books too. Enjoy!