Monday, December 16, 2013

Monday: Mailbox/What Am I reading?/Musing

Mailbox Monday is a gathering place for readers to share the books that came into their house last week and explore great book blogs. Mailbox Monday can lead to envy, toppling TBR piles and humongous wish lists. December host is Rose City Reader

I received only one book, and I also downloaded a lot of free e-books!

The Edge of Power by Tuhin A. Sinha


The heinous gang-rape of Nirbhaya has jolted the Indian nation out of its apathy but rape and violence against women are only symptomatic of a deeper malaise that ails the nation: the total collapse of governance under the weak and vacillating PM, Devender Singh. Ironically, aiding the PM and his Indian Democratic Party(IDP)’s cling to power is a casual and largely indifferent Opposition led by the venal Ravi Nehra. A ray of hope finally emerges when ex-journalist and RTI activist Daivik Verma and the gorgeous Catherine Khan, a leading Bollywood film-star with a mysterious lineage, decide to challenge the existing system by floating a new political party but lack of funds and cadre-support thwarts their efforts: their only recourse being Shruti Ranjan, who had sworn off politics three years ago.

Will Nirbhaya’s gruesome rape and her subsequent death bring a disillusioned Shruti Ranjan back into the political fray, dominated by crime lords and bankrolled by industrial barons? Will the trio manage to stage a coup and dethrone India’s worst regime? Will the land of great leaders like Chandragupta Maurya, Ashoka and Akbar, finally get a dynamic Prime Minister she so badly needs?

A racy political thriller, The Edge of Power is a powerful enquiry into the underbelly of Indian politics. It raises important questions over the funding of Indian political parties, while presenting Shruti Ranjan, the immensely popular protagonist of The Edge of Desire, in a refreshingly new, resurgent avatar.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hosted by Sheila @ One Person's Journey Through a World of BooksWe discuss the books that we've read and what we're planning to read for the week. 


I finished reading the following:

Nothing!

I am in the midst of reading:

The Land of Decoration by Grace McCleen
A Soul's Calling by Scott Bishop
The Aryavarta Chronicles Book 1: Govinda by Krishna Udayasankar
The Edge of Normal by Carla Norton
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Musing Mondays asks you to muse about something related to books each week…

• Maybe you just want to ramble on about something else pertaining to books — let’s hear it, then!

I am on a spree of collecting poetry books. I own some 20+ poetry books. Not much, I know. Anyone who has poetry books to spare can leave a comment. I know I live in India and postal rates are high but I can still solicit, can't I? Maybe someone may wish to be my Santa!! :D :D

9 comments:

Mary (Bookfan) said...

The Edge of Power sounds like an intense read. Hope you enjoy it!

Unknown said...

Sorry I don't have any poetry books. I hope you have a great week!

Harvee said...

It's wonderful to be able to get free e-books though I can't find time to read much of them. I still prefer paper though.
Harvee
Book Dilettante

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

I wish I could send you some poetry books. Postal rates used to be cheap (what happened to the Slow Boat rate?) and expensive but now all we've got is expensive.

Here's my It's Monday!

Sheila (Bookjourney) said...

Looks like a good group of books you have going!

Sharon Galligar Chance said...

Have a happy week of reading, my friend!

bermudaonion said...

I'm not getting much reading done right now either. We have company coming soon so I don't see it getting any better for a while.

Anonymous said...

A busy time of the year, hope to get more reading done myself.

http://tributebooksmama.blogspot.com/2013/12/mailbox-monday_16.html

Elizabeth said...

ENJOY your week and your books.

Elizabeth
Silver's Reviews
My Mailbox Monday