Sunday, July 19, 2009

Mondays: Mailbox/whereabouts

Monday Mailbox is hosted by Marcia, In My Mailbox is hosted by The Story Siren and New Crayons is hosted by Color Online. Check all three which are related to books you receive in the past week.

After a dry, drab and barren week, I received four books. From authors/publicists.

1) One Scream away by Kate Brady
2) Drawing in the Dust by Zoe Klein
3) The Jewel Trader of Pegu by Jeffrey Hantover
4) The Magicians by Lev Grossman

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It's Monday! What Are You Reading This Week? is a weekly event hosted by J. Kaye of J. Kaye's Book Blog, "to list the books completed last week, the books currently being read, and the books to be finish this week."

I finished the following:

The Texicans by Nina Vida
One Scream Away by Kate Brady
The Jewel Trader of Pegu by Jeffrey Hantover
The Wolves Keeper Legend by Sylvia Weber

I am in the midst of reading:

Dragon Rider by Cornelia Funke

I posted reviews of:

The Texicans by Nina Vida
One Scream Away by Kate Brady
The Jewel Trader of Pegu by Jeffrey Hantover

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Musing Mondays (BIG)
Do you feel disappointed when the cover’s don’t match the story? Have you ever been completely misled by a book cover?

In a short answer, I have been disappointed by certain covers. I don't like movie covers. Those are misleading. And sometimes, the cover is very good, the book sucks, or the cover is so bad that one doesn't want to pick a really good book. For all their perennial value, I don't like gold embossed hardbound books. I am somehow put off by that gold lettering.

30 comments:

bermudaonion said...

Ooh, I really want to read The Jewel Trader of Pegu and The Magicians. I hope you enjoy them.

Anna said...

The Jewel Trader of Pegu was great. I'm going to read your review right now.

--Anna
Diary of an Eccentric

Lizzy said...

One Scream Away sounds unbelievably creepy. Hopefully you enjoyed it!

Melody said...

You've a great list of books there!

I don't care about movie tie-in covers either.

Rebecca said...

Interesting books you got this week, hope you enjoy reading them.

wendy elizabeth said...

I agree about the movie tie-in covers I avoid them but I don't feel as violently about them as Becca (One more page) does! :)

Katrina said...

I read The Texicans this week too. I am going to have to check out your review. Have a great week reading, you can stop by my Monday Mailbox if you would like.

BooksPlease said...

I don't like movie covers either - but then I don't often like movies of books anyway.

Alaine said...

I've bought heaps of books that failed to live up because of the cover. In fact, recently I bought The Other Tudors because the cover was so pretty only to find it's a non fiction, which is fine, just not what I was expecting!

Teddyree said...

Nice line-up of books, have a great reading week :-)
I'm off to check out your review of One Scream Away!

Lisa (Southern Girl Reads) said...

Those are some great books! I'm anxious to hear what you think of Drawing in the Dust. I've had my eye on that one. Have a good week!

Kristen said...

The Jewel Trader of Pegu sounds great. Will have to wishlist that one. I have The Texicans here to read and now that it's dried out, I can actually get to it. My son read The Dragon Rider. Couldn't get much out of him about it so I'll have to wait for your review. :-)

The Bookworm said...

Great books in the mail :)

hows Dragin Rider going? I like Cornelia Funke.

http://thebookworm07.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

Sylvia Weber's book sounds intriguing!

Brooke from The Bluestocking Guide said...

Sometimes movie covers work for me. Here is mine

Cindy said...

Dragon Rider sounds interesting, I hope you're enjoying it. Here's my list :)
happy reading :)

Cackleberry Homestead said...

I want to read One Scream Away. The others are new to me and I will have to check those out.

Toni said...

Enjoy your books. I want to read The Jewel Trader of Pegu.

Serena said...

I've heard great things about The Jewel Trader of Pegu by Jeffrey Hantover! Happy reading.

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to hear your review on The Dragon Rider.

Movie tie in covers are ok. It depends I suppose. I got the Twilight movie tie in cover (because the one with the apple was more expensive for some idiotic reason)

Carrie K. said...

The Dragon Rider was a favorite read aloud a couple years back at our house!

Natalie W said...

I'll have to check back on your review of One Scream Away. I've entered contests for this book. Hope its good!
Natalie :0)

Yvonne said...

Enjoy your books!

I don't particularly like the movie tie in books either.

Anonymous said...

OK, I'm really impressed that you get books and read them the same week!

I'll be interested to hear what you think of The Magicians-- it sounds like it has potential both directions :-).

Kristen said...

Great books! I haven't heard of a lot of those, but I have read some other books by Funke and enjoyed them.

Staci said...

Sometimes I like movie covers but they have to be done really nicely. You received some great books and I enjoyed your reviews!!

Kim said...

It sure looks like you have had a great reading week to me! I thought you said you were going through a dry time? ;)

As far as covers go, I couldn't agree more about the movie tie-in covers. I hate them--it feels to me like the book is cheapened from its original glory as just a book!
*smiles*
Kim

Alice said...

Great books you have there! Happy reading!

Nan said...

Have a good reading week! Yesterday was beautiful here so I was able to sit on the deck and read. :-)

Kerri said...

Congratulations on a full mailbox this week. It looks like you've already read most of them. I'll be off to check the reviews.