Thursday, December 9, 2010

Booking through Crappy Books/weekly Geeks: Guilty Pleasures

btt button

Do you ever crave reading crappy books?

Weekly GeeksThe Books that you Love but are Embarrassed to be Seen Reading. Tell us WHY you love them

How does one define crappy books? If it means meaningless stuff, then I would say, sometimes I do. I pick upromance novels which makes no sense other than THAT fairy tale ending. Or maybe not even that. Yet.....

We do need those guilty pleasures. Or reading becomes a chore. Some say, if they read junk, then they are wasting time. Time is relative, is it not. If I die tomorrow, who really cares what kind of books I had been reading?. Other than myself. The point is, I am already dead, to care any more! Frankly, I do not read to score points, do I?

7 comments:

Tilly Bud said...

Don't tell anyone but just occasionally I have the urge to sink into a Mills & Boon - to visit a world where gender rules are clearly defined and the bloke takes charge; true love wins through and everything is clear cut (apart from the inevitable lovers' muddle halfway through, of course).

I wouuldn't like it to stay that way but it's nice to escape now and then.

I have more respect for them since I tried writing one as well - REALLY not as easy as you'd think.

The Crooked Bookshelf said...

Of course.. While not a huge fan of what people call "Chick-Lit" occasionally I'm so overwhelmed by all the serious stuff that I just curl up with one of those romance stories where everything is just hunky-dory at the end. It may have insipid characters and plot holes the size of craters in it but its good to just switch off once in a while..

Anonymous said...

I think "crappy" is purely subjective anyways. I agree with you it's not like we read to score points ...

Anonymous said...

Booking Through Thursday


Do ever crave reading crappy books?

Sometimes you just want to turn your mind off and be entertained. They're like romantic comedy chick flicks.

Julie said...

Sometimes a 'light, thoughtless' read is just what one needs. I like those books as well as others. It all depends on my mood, of course, but, yes, if we didn't need to read them, they wouldn't be out there for us! :)

Yvonne said...

I think it's purely subjective to define what crappy is.

Greta said...

My friend Jane and I volunteer in the books section of our Habitat for Humanity thrift store. We laughingly refer to some of the books as "bodice rippers." The ones with a swooning woman and strong man holding her on the book cover. I don't enjoy those but I do read books with "no redeeming social value." To end with a cliche, variety IS the spice of my reading life.