Monday, September 15, 2008

Treatment for Books



Do you treat books carefully, or do you just treat them as any other object? Do you have certain things you refuse to do with books (write in them, etc)? If so, what are they?


Ill-treating, a book, any book is kind of sacrilege for me. It does not matter whose book is it. Yes, I used to write on my text books when I was in school or college. Even now I write in the margins of the reference books I use for my students.

I avoid turning the books so as not to spoil the spine. I do not dog-ear my books. I use book marks. I even made a few bookmarks which are a hug hit with my family and friends. I hate turning corners. I do write my name and date of purhase, other than that nothing. I even put dust covers on my books. Not the hardbound ones but the paperback ones. I cringe if I see a spine damaged. For me, it is death of a book.

However, when I was in school, we used to tear apart each and every page of any romance novel and read it! Those days are long gone! I still possess a lot many of my old tattered books whcih I have lovingly repaired over the years. I can't imagine tearing apart any book now.

Books need to be cared for and looked after. I cherish my books too much to cause real damage to those.

0 comments: