Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Top ten characters in books that we wish were in our family


Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted over at The Broke and the Bookish.  Each week, we get a theme to list our top tens. 

This week is all about those characters in books that we wish were in our family!

I wish those following characters to be in my family:

1) LEE from East of Eden by John Steinbeck: I think he is one of best character in the book. He is unlike any other servant. He himself says that a servant can be the master of the man he is serving. But we never see him imposing on Adam Trask at any place. He is more of a family to them than anyone else. He is the one who brings up Cal and Aron single handedly. It is he who keeps them together. He is practical, down to earth and lots of philosophy going inside him. 

2) LIESEL from The Book Thief by Marcus Zusack: As a daughter. She is spunky, responsible and very lovable.

3) HANS THOMAS of The Solitaire Mystery by Jostien Gaarder: As a son who brings fantasy and mystery in our lives. Who helps is in merging reality with mysticism.

4) ALICE of Alice in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll: As a little sister who has a vivid imagination.

5) INMAM of Cold Mountain by Charles Frazier: as a lover/husband. He does not speak much of his feelings but his love for Ada is unfailing, all enduring.

6) IRIS of The Blind Assasssin by Margaret Atwood: as a big sister. Despite Iris's stocism, we see her shimmering anger. Her precise revenge. She is calculated too in what she is doing. When she is telling her story, we get to hear her inner voice too and her introspection. And I feel that makes her a good elder sister.

7) CAPTAIN HADDOCK of Tintin Adventures by Herge: Who would'n't love to have him as a brother? His usage of colourful language would be so welcome!

8) CELLIST of The Cellist of Sarajevo by Stephen Galloway: I need a fearless cellist in the family who would go on playing all the time unmindful of adverse circumstances!

9) LISBETH SALANDER of the Millennium trilogy by Stieg Larsson: as a cousin. Who wouldn't wish for a brilliant computer hacker in the family?

10) MARMEE (Mrs March) of Little Women by Louisa M Scott: as a mother figure. She is the perfect mother one can have.

31 comments:

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

The Marches are almost too good to be true. I wonder where these people have gone today.

http://readerbuzz.blogspot.com/2011/03/ten-books-with-characters-id-want-as.html

Playing Librarian said...

The Cellist of Sarajevo is a beautiful story..

Anonymous said...

Alice for a little sister?? Can you imagine having to be in charge of that kid?! lol

Two Bibliomaniacs said...

Great list! I included Jo March on my list. Leisel would also make a great family member!

iLuvReadingTooMuch said...

LOVE CAPTAIN HADDOCK! I would seriously love him as a crazy uncle or something :) thanks for dropping by my blog!

Christina / Book Addict said...

I included Little Women on my list as well. You also included a few that I forgot about, especially Alice. Good idea!

Anonymous said...

I was thinking of Lisbeth too! But then I got scared of having someone *That* good of a computer hacker as my family member LOL. Maybe more of a good friend LOL!!

Monique Cherie said...

i have to be honnest i have never heard of these. other then Alice, lol, good job for finishing thoughlol

Red said...

Good job making it to 10! I know I couldn't. Plus I love that you have Alice on your list

Kailana said...

Great list!!

Rachel said...

Yay for another brave soul willing to take on Alice as a little sister.

I love your choice of Inman. He's such a sweet guy.

Thanks for stopping by

Rachel- Endless Reading

Sharon said...

I like your list. You're right about Lisbeth, she'd be a great one to have in the fam!

Anonymous said...

great choices and interesting,stop and see mine.

bermudaonion said...

Great list of characters! I have a feeling your family is full of great characters too.

Stephen said...

I'd forgotten about the characters from "East of Eden" -- I should go back and reread it. :)

Anonymous said...

I just bought The Cellist of Sarajevo a couple of weeks ago, so I'm glad to see that you love who I'm assuming is a main character of the story :)

I thought of Alice as a sister, but she didn't make the cut haha

Nise' said...

Great choices!

Willa said...

Captain Haddock is a fantastic choice!

SisterSpooky said...

ooo alice from alice in wonderland. fab choice!

Laura said...

Lee is totally amazing, and I love Inmam! Yours is my favourite list I've seen so far!

You can check mine out here :) http://devouringtexts.blogspot.com/2011/03/top-ten-tuesday_15.html

Irene said...

I'm not sure I could come up with ten characters in a book that I'd like to be in my family. I love reading murder mysteries, so I don't know. Great list though.

Grace at Feeding My Book Addiction said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog earlier. I'm now following your blog.

I thoroughly enjoyed your list, especially Lee and Liesel. Great post!

Anne@HeadFullofBooks said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog. I just added the Cellist from Sarajevo to my TBR pile. Sounds good.

Peppermint Ph.D. said...

Lisbeth Salander is one of my favorite characters ever, but I wasn't sure I'd want her in my family...she seems to attract some of the most dangerous people :/

Susan said...

What an interesting family you would have! Very lively and troublesome I would think, lots of excitement, with Mam from Little Women to keep the peace. I love Alice as a little sister, but oh I wouldn't want to get stuck babysitting her!

Alyce said...

Anne of Green Gables as an older sister - I think she would have been a lot of fun to hang out with. :)

Anonymous said...

Atticus Finch (To Kill a Mockingbird) comes to mind right away. Gotta think about this a bit. I love the concept.

Alison Can Read said...

Lisbeth would be a great person to have on your side. But I wouldn't want to make her mad. :-)

Pam (@iwriteinbooks) said...

Ah this is a good list! I love Marmee and Alice and Lee and Lisbeth!!

Yvette said...

Terrific choices! A well thought out post, as well. I like the idea of Captain Haddock in the family. :)

Yes, Leisel, I'd forgotten about her.

There are just too many good characters to choose from - that's the problem.

Skye said...

Lisbeth Salander would be so awesome in the family! I want her skills:)