Sunday, December 5, 2010

Mondays: Mailbox/Whereabouts

Mailbox Monday has moved over to Let Them Read Booksor the month of December and In My Mailbox is a weekly meme hosted at The Story Siren.

I received two books, in the past week, thanks to authors:

Miss Hildreth Wore Brown-Anecdotes of a Southern Belle by Olivia deBelle Byrd

The characters who dance across the pages range from Great-Aunt Lottie Mae, who is as “old-fashioned and opinionated as the day is long,” to Mrs. Brewton, who calls everyone “dahling” whether they are darling or not, to Isabella with her penchant for mint juleps and drama.
    
Humorous anecdotes from a Christmas coffee, where one can converse with a lady who has Christmas trees with blinking lights dangling from her ears, to Sunday church, where a mink coat is mistaken for possum, will delight Southerners and baffle many a non-Southerner. There is the proverbial Southern beauty pageant, where even a six-month-old can win a tiara, to a funeral faux pas of the iron clad Southern rule—one never wears white after Labor Day and, dear gussy, most certainly not to a funeral.

Silent Kill by David Fingerman:
Police must follow a labyrinth, leading into the darkest tunnel of a twisted mind. A mind that carries no value for human life... Minneapolis police officer Louise Miller has attitude. Not only does she have to deal with the good old boy mentality of the department, but she's also a gay police officer who has to deal with harassment on a higher level. When one of her few friends on the force goes missing Miller investigates, despite her captain's order to leave it to the detectives. As Miller scours the precinct for any sign of the missing officer, Elias Boughton is on a psychopathic rampage. Kidnapping and murder are games he plays, blindly obeying a voice from his past. As the body count rises, Miller is convinced the detectives are heading in the wrong direction. Trying to fit the puzzle together, each clue revolves around a particular Rottweiler. As the mystery unravels so does her life, and the case becomes more personal than she ever dared imagine.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



Finally......

23 comments:

bermudaonion said...

What different books, but they both look good!

serendipity_viv said...

Like the sound of the southern one. Enjoy.

Pam said...

Neither look like my typical reads so I'll be interested to see if you think they're worth the journey. :O) Enjoy!

Staci said...

I love the cover on the first one!! Enjoy!

Jan von Harz said...

Both your books sound exciting. Have a great week!

Bhargavi said...

Both books sound interesting,though the miss brown book has managed to entice me more .. enjoy !

Anonymous said...

Somehow I love Southern books. Not sure what it is. I actually wrote in someone else's post today about having flashing Christmas trees dangling from my ears (in theory!!!!). Coincidence!

Aisle B said...

I loved Miss H wore Brown. I had a blast and I laughed myself silly at times. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did :)

Serena said...

that dog on silent kill reminds me of stephen king's cujo! just so menacing

Alayne said...

Two very different books but both look intriguing!

Anna said...

The Southern book sounds fun. Happy reading!

CMash said...

Silent Kill looks like my kind of book...will be on lookout for your review.

Anonymous said...

Both these books sound interesting. Looking forward to your reviews :)

Julie said...

I've been seeing Miss Hildreth Wore Brown and thinking "I would really like it!" Enjoy both of the new reads! Good job on getting Remedies finished! I have to run, but I'll be back later to comment on the review!

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

I also got the Miss Hildreth book! Looking forward to it.

Remedies sounds good; I've heard something about it.

Here's my Monday:

(click my name)

Anonymous said...

I received for review Out of Touch by Brandon Tietz from the author.

Twenty-four-year-old Aidin, a wealthy socialite and self-proclaimed "club god," lives a magazine life based on decadence and excess that includes drugs, sex, and gourmet food. It's a life based on surfaces in a place where the surface is all that matters. His therapist later describes him as a materialistic drug addict bent on promiscuity with self-esteem and identity issues.One morning, after a night of heavy partying, Aidin awakes completely vacant of any sensation. He can't feel temperature. He can't feel pressure. He can't feel anything. After a near-fatal stint in denial, he seeks the help of Dr. Paradies, a therapist whose methods are far from conventional. She provides him with a new addiction in the form of a life list--a litany of activities to accomplish. As Aidin completes his list, he discovers talents he never knew he possessed, such as the ability to quickly learn new languages, an IQ off the charts, and amazing physical stamina.With these new discoveries, he questions his doctor's intentions. When Aidin digs for the truth, will he slip back into his addictive habits? Or is there truly a conspiracy underway, as he suspects? The answer forces him to make a life-altering decision.

Alyce said...

The first book appeals to me more, but I haven't heard of the second one before now.

jlshall said...

Those both sound like excellent reads, especially Silent Kill. Hope you enjoy them both.

Beth(bookaholicmom) said...

This is the second blog I have seen with Miss Hildreth and I think it looks like a very good read.

Jo-Jo said...

These are both new to me and that Miss H book sounds very interesting. Enjoy!

Gnoe (@Graasland) said...

MISS HILDRETH WORE BROWN and went for the SILENT KILL for which there were no REMEDIES.

Sounds like you're a poetic reader ;)

My Monday is up too!

Nise' said...

Glad you finished a book! Miss H. looks like a great book.

Literary Feline said...

Looks like you have some good reading ahead of you, Gautami!