Thursday, November 19, 2009

Tender Triumph by Judith McNaught

Title: Tender Triumph
Author: Judith McNaught
ISBN: 9780671742560
Publisher: Pocket Books/1983
Pages: 375



Katie Connelly is the daughter of wealthy grocers. She is somewhat pampered, spoiled and lives in a world of her own. She is also slightly bored with her life. She doesn't know what to make of the tall, dark and handsome Puerto Rican man who rescues her from the harassment of a drunken ex-boyfriend outside a bar one night. Ramon Galverra is very much a sensual male. Physically, he reminds her of her cheating, abusive ex-husband. Despite that she feels attracted to him. She also senses that Ramon is hiding something from her. Ramon is a powerful tycoon on the verge of bankruptcy and he has nothing to offer Katie other than a simple life in a small cottage in Puerto Rico. Also Ramon is not afraid to express his true feelings for Katie.

It isn't one of the better books by McNaught but it isn't boring either. I finished in three hours while travelling. And that's not a bad thing.

This book does feel racist at times. Tender Triumph is written in the early eighties. Considering that, it is in no way politically correct for the present times. I think the racism is more due to ignorance on the author's part. Although I like Judith McNaught novels, I too have felt her writing is racist. In One and Always, she is disparaging towards India and it customs. I felt that she wrote what she had read or heard about India, without researching it.

I also feel that she does much better writing historical novels than contemporary ones.

Thanks to Stacy for the book.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I read this so many years ago that I don't even remember her writing about India. I always have to remind myself when I read books that are written in the 80's or before that political correctness was non-existent. I'll have to be on the lookout for that when her next book comes out.

Veens said...

A Racist book is a no-no for me!

Erotic Horizon said...

I love McNaughts book - but I must agree with you, there is always an element of something not nice in some of her discriptions and the language of the day is not very "for now"...

As you rightly said the book was written over 20 years ago - a different generation...

E.H>