Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Teaser Tuesdays: The Imposter's Daughter by Laurie Sandell




Title: The Imposter's Daughter
Author: Laurie Sandell
ISBN: 978-0316033053
Publisher: Little, Brown and Company/2009
Pages: 256

A memoir told in the graphic way, this grabs our eyeballs right from the beginning. The author has no knowledge what her father is, other than what he pretends to be and/or tells his family. Growing she discovers that his whole life is a sham and by the same virtue so is theirs. She can't accept it. She writes about her experiences in My Father, the Fraud and her whole family turns against her.

The author tells us about her childhood, growing up years in a funny, witty, cynical way. The deceptions of her father are heart wrenching and her sadness seeps into us too.

She experiences it all...sex, substance abuse and lot more and writes about all those here in a clinically detached way. A good read for all those who like memoirs. I enjoyed the writing, the graphics, the story and all. I read it for the Dewey's 24 Hour Readathon.

Thanks to the author for the copy.

26 comments:

Veens said...

This one sounds really good!!! And i have never read a graphic novel!

Staci said...

I've been wanting to read this for some time now. Loved your thoughts on this one and the picture that you posted on the artwork!!

Margot said...

I liked your teaser - the picture from the novel. Nice, bright, vivid colors.

Zia said...

Great teaser! I plan on reading this one at some point.

Andrea said...

Love the picture you include. It sounds like a very good book.

Marce said...

That sounds good i'm completely intrigued. I think memoirs will be my new thing for 2010.

Missy B. said...

That's very sad...at least she can write about it in an amusing fashion.....

Harvee said...

I bet this reads fast, being a graphic novel. Nice tease. Here's My tease.

BurtonReview said...

Interesting.
I appreciate that pic there, otherwise I would not have known it was a graphic novel. How fun. Glad you liked it!

Anonymous said...

I think the idea of a graphic memoir is really interesting. Good teaser, too.

JoAnn said...

I've been thinking of reading this one. Thanks for posting a picture of the artwork, too!

CeeCee said...

Graphic novels are becoming popular these days. I think it's brilliant making one into a memoir.

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

This sounds like something I should add to my list!

My tease is here:

http://laurel-rain-snow.blogspot.com/2009/11/teaser-tuesdays_17.html

kayerj said...

sounds cute. my teaser is here and I have a little something for you today. I appreciate how often you drop by and all the kind comments you leave.

Beth said...

Very interesting!

Anonymous said...

This book looks really good. I love your teaser! Great idea :)

Here's my Teaser.

jlshall said...

Graphic memoirs are something new to me. Looks intriguing, and that's a great teaser!

Teddyree said...

What a unique teaser, I haven't read a graphic novel as yet but I've heard good things about this one.

Jennifer said...

I have never actually read a graphic novel. Thanks for the unique teaser.
My TT: http://www.rundpinne.com/2009/11/joy-teaser-tuesdays.html

Unknown said...

I have this book in my TBR pile and I'm really looking forward to reading it. Your teaser is so intriguing and gives me a good idea of the interesting story I have awaiting me.

I am glad you enjoyed the book.
~ Amy

Anonymous said...

I have my first graphic novel checked out from the library right now but I really want to read this one too!

Laya said...

Looks interesting! Nice teaser!

Thanks for dropping by and commenting on my teaser!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the graphic teaser. This may be my next graphic memoir - when I get around to it. I'm so behind!

Yvonne said...

Great teaser!

Allison said...

This looks like a great memoir. Really funny. I put it in my TBR list.

Allison
- My Teaser

Sarah at SmallWorld said...

I'll have to add this to my graphic novel list. I've enjoyed so far Persepolis 1 and 2, Epileptic, and Maus. I'll have to see if our library carries this!