Saturday, November 14, 2009

Soul Catcher by Leigh Bridger

Title: Soul Catcher
Author: Leigh Bridger
ISBN: 9780982175682
Publisher: Belle Bridge Books/2009
Pages: 284

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Story Summary

From the gothic eccentricity of Asheville, North Carolina, to the terrifying recesses of the Appalachian wilderness, from modern demonology to ancient Cherokee mythology, Soul Catcher follows the tormented journey of folk artist Livia Belane, who has been stalked through many lives by a sadistic and vengeful demon.Livia and her loved ones, including her frontier-era soulmate and husband, Ian, a Soul Hunter, have never beaten the demon before. Now, in this life, it's found them again.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I won the ARC of Soul Catcher in the BBAW. With that story summary, I picked it up as soon as I received it. The setting is good and the concept interested me. Hindu mythology is replete with reincarnations and re-births.

In Soul Catcher, angels, demons and other creatures co-exist in such a way that there is always a clash between them. Livia is a reincarnated soul, although she can't remember anything. She also has the power to vanquish the evil Demons and catch their souls. Here she is made to fight a pg-faced demon. She is assisted by some of her friends and her husband over the re-births, Ian. He too seems to be born again and again as Livia is. This only should have made it a good novel.

Somehow the character of Livia didn't appeal to me much. Everyone is going out of their way to help her and somehow she seems very ungrateful about it. Her only redeeming feature is her unique bonding with Ian. The novel is not as fast paced it ought to be and seems to drag at places. The violence and the excess of sex scenes too might put off some readers. It didn't exactly put me off although at times I felt those were not needed in such large quantities.

For die-hard readers of paranormal stuff, this book might work. For me, it didn't. Maybe I ought to avoid Urban Fantasy!

Also reviewed by:

Wendy's Minding Spot

MariReads
Books Books and more Books
Novel Addiction
Maymay's Memos
Falling Off The Shelf
Giving... Reading A -Chance



6 comments:

serendipity_viv said...

Sorry to hear it didn't work for you. The cover is eyecatching,but I am not sure it would be my kind of book either.

bermudaonion said...

Sorry it wasn't for you.

Mari said...

Thanks for the link and sorry you didn't enjoy it. I thought it as okay but that would be because I enjoy these type of books.

Veens said...

brrr... it is all to do with the fct that you dnt like the genre much :P

I have linked to your reviews!

Please next time too let me know! I never link to reviews, I didn't know :(

I will start now :)

Ruth Schaller said...

I find that there are only a few books that I don't care for. I'm really picky. But I've linked with your review too! Thanks!

Anonymous said...

I like an occasional sci-fi book, but for some reason fantasy books usually don't work for me.