Monday, September 22, 2008

Book Clubs

This week’s MUSING MONDAYS post is about book clubs!

Do you belong to a book club? Is it online, or face-to-face (f2f)? How long have you been with the group? What have you learned from them? Do you like how the group is run, or would you make changes to it if you could?

Formally, I have never been a member of any book club. Once I did participate in the discussion for East of Eden by John Steinbeck. Although it was supposed to be done in 15 days, it went on and on for two months are so, as initially people were too lazy to read the book. I was one of the first ones and impatient to discuss and no one to do it with. When those started trickling in, I had lost interest by then. I had moved on to many other books. It spoilt me for any other reading with that group. Next time they chose Catch 22 by Joseph Heller and it never got discussed! The Kite Runner met a similar fate. One too many, don't you think?

As I read at my own pace and own specific choices, I do not like the constraints placed by a book club. I do like to chose books from my blogger friend's recommendations. But reading together no, as of now. Especially online. I do discuss books with my close friends and my brothers. Somehow being a part of a book club is not very appealing to me. Maybe because of my initial bad impressions about it.

I think I should try joining an interactive one. I should give it a second chance. One should always be open for new ideas. Instead of novel reading, I am more open to online book clubs solely meant for discussing short stories. Can anyone recommend one to me?

0 comments: