Thursday, August 21, 2008

Booking through librariy memories

Whether you usually read off of your own book pile or from the library shelves NOW, chances are you started off with trips to the library. What is your earliest memory of a library? Who took you? Do you have you any funny/odd memories of the library?

I recall my dad getting me picture books. I started going to the library when I was around 10 years old. It started with a visit to my school library which had only a handful of books. I think I read almost all the books therein! Come to think of it, I had more books than there were in that library.

After I changed school after a year or so, I found the perfect library. It had/still has one of the best libraries in Delhi for schools. Very spacious and it simply calls out to browse books. My seven years spent there were very fruitful. I don't think I have read all the books in that library. Recently I went back there after 25 years. It still is one of the grandest library one can dream off. The whole school is almost falling apart but the library is still intact. I made it to my favourite section, spending there a few hours. ( I once almost feel asleep, discovered just before the school closed for the day!) I was introduced to Enid Blytons and classics in this library. Now they have all the YA books too.

My college library only had study books. So my memories about that are only related with sudying. My book buying spree started from there. However, our university library known as Central Library is too one of the best amongst university libraries. My library memories are all very good. I am a member of a few libraries. However, I don't go that much. I prefer to buy/own books nowadays. To think, I used to read one book a day. But now if I read 8-10 books a month, it is good enough. This month, I read two books till date, I think!

0 comments: