Monday, September 19, 2011

Mondays: Musings/Mailbox/What Are You Reading


How often do you read a book, just because you’re in the mood to read it?

All the time. I have stopped taking part in challenges, and review copies, I read at my own pace and own time.

Mailbox Monday was created by Marcia at A Girl and Her BooksLeah from Amused by Books  is hosting for the month of September.

I received one novel, Altamont Augie by Richard Barager, thanks to the author. Altamont Augie is a startlingly vivid portrayal of one of the most colorful periods in recent American history: the 1960s, as seen through the eyes of two ill-fated college lovers at odds over Vietnam. Their story and the story of their generation spill onto a tableau of some of the era’s most iconic settings—the legendary Vietnam battleground of Khe Sanh; a Midwestern campus riven by dissent; and Altamont Speedway, scene of the notorious rock festival profiled in the film Gimme Shelter. To David Noble, the faltering war in Vietnam is a failure of national honor; to Jackie Lundquist it is a failure of national conscience. But neither her rise to fame as the antiwar movement’s alluring Radical Queen nor David’s defiant counter-protest activities in support of the war can extinguish their passion for one another. Their love endures, even while fighting on opposite sides of the defining issue of their time.

It’s Monday! What Are You Reading? is hosted by Sheila of Book Journey.

I am NOT able to read any novel.  Just can't...

21 comments:

Pam (@iwriteinbooks) said...

If I don't read at my own pace I burn out really quickly. I'm a very moody reader.

caite said...

I have cut back on my review books..because life is too short not to read what you want to read!

jlshall said...

I read at my own pace, too - even when I'm reading for a challenge or a review. Just can't do it any other way.

BurtonReview said...

hope you find your way back to novels soon.. ;)

Beth(bookaholicmom) said...

I have been thinking cutting back on review books also. I never have time for books on my wish list. I am trying to find a happy medium.

Serena said...

I hope you have time to read a novel soon, but enjoy all the other reading you are doing.

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

Altamont Augie sounds good, since it spotlights a period that I lived in my life...and the issues we struggled over. Thanks for sharing...and for visiting my blog.

Anonymous said...

Enjoy! your reading.

http://tributebooksmama.blogspot.com/2011/09/maillbox-monday.html

Martha Eskuchen said...

Hi - sorry you are struggling with reading. If you like a good mystery check my review tomorrow for The Lonely Mile... an easy read with deep suspense.
Hope your week is good!

Hannah said...

I have so many review books to get through and read so slowly these days--I need to cut back so I can read at my own pace without guilt!
Hope you have a great week :)

Anna @ Literary Exploration said...

I tend to read at my own pace, but I also only choose review books that I think I'll enjoy. If it doesn't look like something I'll even like reading then I'll just pass it on.

Jenny Q said...

This looks like a good one! Enjoy!

Aisle B said...

I'm a sixties babe. Enjoy this one love :)

toothybooks said...

i haven't heard of this book yet, but it sounds good. hope you enjoy it!

Unknown said...

I can sympathize ... I'm reading The Alchemyst by Michael Scott right now ... in fact I'm almost finished. But I suddenly lost the "drive" to read :-(

DCMetroreader said...

The concert at Altamont Racetrack heralded the end of the 60's peace and love that was represented at Woodstock, so I find the novel's title highly symbolic. SOunds like an interesting mix of historical events and fiction.

Mary (Bookfan) said...

I'll be interested in your thoughts on your mailbox book.

KarenSi said...

Sounds like a good read.

Sorry you are still stuck in your rut. We all get that. Maybe a break is what you need.

Nise' said...

Are you an audiobook listener? Maybe you can listen instead of read.

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

I am a mood reader as well, and sometimes, it seems like I can't enjoy anything. Hope u find a wonderful book to read soon.

Anonymous said...

Looks like a very intersting book :) Hope you enjoy it, and at your own pace :)