Wednesday, September 14, 2011

BBAW 2011: How Do You Do Community?

 How Do You Do Community?

The world of book blogging has grown enormously and sometimes it can be hard to find a place. Share your tips for finding and keeping community in book blogging despite the hectic demands made on your time and the overwhelming number of blogs out there. If you’re struggling with finding a community, share your concerns and explain what you’re looking for–this is the week to connect!

I have been blogging since 2005, I started my poetry blog, rooted, back then. I started my book blog in 2006. I have come a long way. I have expanded in my reading and continue to do so. My book blogger friends take a lot of credit. They deserve recognition for that! If we don't have visitors or comments on our blogs, we feel kind of empty. And we strive to be known. 

We meet similar minded bloggers and tend to stick with them. But I also think divergent blogs help us in spreading our wings, So make it a point to subscribe to new blogs. Use the feeds to do that. And visit regularly. Take part in memes. And return comment love. That is how a community thrives.

I am undergoing a massive reading slump since last October. A WHOLE YEAR. The memes have kept me going, have kept me in touch with book bloggers and I am encouraged all the time to read. That is a good thing. When we are down, bloggers rally around! They are very supportive. They send mails too. I am glad to be part of all this. I am glad that the world is a better place because of it and is smaller too. How to build community? Visit, Comment, Stay in touch! Introduce others to new bloggers. 

Update: Let me say this: I am NOT able to read novels but I am reading a lot. Poetry, Science papers, Politics, Global issues, News and Travelogues, although short ones. Maybe I should read non-fiction books. I never thought of that!  

11 comments:

Serena said...

Great advice. I hope that your reading slump ends soon. But it seems like you are still busy writing poetry, so that's a good thing.

Carol said...

Good advice,

I agree, when reading is not happening, just visiting blogs can keep me going.

Hope your reading blip is over soon.

carol

Karen Harrington said...

I echo so many of your thoughts. The book blogging community is were I discover great new books...and blogs!!

Suey said...

Ah that reading slump sounds like no fun, but I'm glad you are still blogging around. Great tips and here's to us! :)

Lenasledgeblog.com said...

I love that bloggers rally around their own. It's such a great community.

Nise' said...

I admire your tenacity as you are dealing with your reading slump. You are a great example to others, it would be so easy to give up.

bermudaonion said...

Great advice!

Anonymous said...

It's nice that the community keeps you going. It's a real pity that you have trouble with novels, though. Hope it will clear up.

Joy Weese Moll said...

It's very cool that you find so much to participate even while being in a reading slump yourself. I am glad that you stay involved and I really appreciate your visits to my blog.

Melody said...

I started my book blog in 2006 too! :)

Anna said...

I'm so glad you've been able to feel and stay connected despite your reading slump. Hope it ends soon.