Sunday, October 11, 2009

Mondays: Mused/Amused etc. etc

Musing Mondays (BIG)
This past week, Borders re-released it’s 100 Favourite Books of All Times. Do you vote in these kinds of polls when they arise? Do you look through the list, or seek out books featured?

I do check in the list but as for as book recommendations are concerned, I don't really go for it unless something unusual is featured. As it is I always have plenty in my platter. Not all books that are listed interest me. Infact I have found certain books ought not be in that list. Anyway, how does one judge 100 favourite books of all times?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Monday Mailbox is hosted by Marcia, In My Mailbox is hosted by The Story Siren and New Crayons is hosted by Color Online. Check all three which are related to books you receive in the past week.

I received 1 book:

1) Receive me Falling by Erika Robuck from the author

After Meg’s parents die in a car accident on the night of her engagement party, she calls off her wedding, takes leave of her job in Annapolis, and travels to land she’s inherited on Nevis. A series of discoveries in an old plantation house on the property, Eden, set her on a search for the truth surrounding the shameful past of her ancestors, their slaves, and the tragedy that resulted in the fall of the plantation and its inhabitants.

I bought two books:

1) The Secret Hour by Luanne Rice

Based in New England, John O'Rourke is a defense lawyer for a serial killer and is detested by people for his work. His children, Maggie and Teddy too have to cope with the rigors of his work. They are targets of hate and much ridicule. Their mother had died in an accident and no baby-sitter lasts long due to the erratic long hours kept by John. Then Kate arrives one fine morning.

2) Just Say Yes by Betina Krahn

Violet-eyed Treasure Barrett had a passion for learning. Everyone in the village of Culpepper knew the best way to solve a problem was to ask Treasure-she was a thinker. So when the late squire's son demanded that the impoverished villagers pay back their longstanding loans, it fell to Treasure to deal with him. But the arrogant, handsome Sterling Renville was not a man to be reasoned with...or ignored. Even as he infuriated her with insulting insinuations, he confused her with calculating caresses. And Treasure soon realized that her thirst for knowledge had not prepared her for the hungers of desire

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It's Monday! What Are You Reading This Week? is a weekly event hosted by J. Kaye of J. Kaye's Book Blog, "to list the books completed last week, the books currently being read, and the books to be finish this week."

I read the following:

The Secret Hour by Luanne Rice

Just Say Yes by Betina Krahn

Currently reading:

in the wake of the boatman by Jonathan Scott Fuqua
The Cleopatra's Daughter by Michelle Moran (taking ages!)
Poetry

Plan to read:

And whatever takes my fancy!

Posted reviews of:

Tintin and The Broken Ear
Tintin and The Blue Lotus
by Herge

The Secret Hour by Luanne Rice

35 comments:

caite said...

I agree there are some questionable book on that particular list. I will not bore you with my Da Vinci Code rant... ;-)

Brooke from The Bluestocking Guide said...

That book you got this week looks good. Here is mine

Literary Feline said...

If I have time and come across it, I will read lists of books like the Borders 100 Favorite Books of All Time, but I don't generally seek them out on my own.

Like you, I really use the list for book recommendations.

I hope you enjoy your new books, Gautami! Have a good week.

Staci said...

enjoy the book you got this week! And I do sometimes vote in polls!

Anonymous said...

The Secret Hour looks very good!

Unknown said...

I'm curious bout 'Receive me falling'. Enjoy your books
Here's my Mailbox

Nise' said...

I wonder about the books I see on "lists" as well!

Falling sounds good. I'm a fan of Luanne Rice's books.

Jennifer said...

I sill have Cleopatra's Daughter waiting for me to read. Have a great week reading and thanks for stopping by.

DCMetroreader said...

I look at Book lists & sometimes choose a book from them to read.

Enjoy your books!

Zia said...

I can't wait to read Cleopatra's Daughter.

Serena said...

Looks like you got some good books. happy reading. here's my mailbox: http://www.savvyverseandwit.com/2009/10/mailbox-monday-51.html

Andrea said...

I have a great reading week and happy reading!

Sheila (bookjourney) said...

I am reading Receive me Falling by Erika Robuck this week and what I have read so far I have enjoyed.

Tea said...

I like the title "In The Wake of The Boatman." I can't imagine where it takes place or what it's about.

http://readwithtea.blogspot.com/2009/10/america-libre-by-raul-y-sanchez.html

Sherrie said...

Hi!
If we all liked the same books then there wouldn't be such a great selection of books to choose from. Have a great day!

Sherrie

Blodeuedd said...

I have heard about that mailbox book and I do hear it's good. Happy reading

Unknown said...

Okay, the Luanne Rice book looks like it's right up my alley. Gotta get that one.

Here's my list:

Lynne's Letters

Happy Reading!!

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

Fascinating selection!

Mine are at http://laurel-rain-snow.blogspot.com

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

My Mailbox Monday post is here:

http://laurelrainsnowcreations.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

Receive Me Falling sounds really good. Enjoy your books.

Anonymous said...

Luanne Rice is an author I haven't tried yet, but have meant to.

Kristen said...

More Tin-Tins this week, I see. :-) As for the 100 List, I sometimes look at them, sometimes not. Since my taste is so wildly across the board, I only occasionally find enough new stuff on them to make it worth my while to scroll all the way though them.

BurtonReview said...

OMG I have that Recieve me Falling book also and I only get reminded every once in awhile when someone receives it in their box, I need to read that one soon, I've had it for awhile!!!

Tam @ Bailey's and Books said...

I recently won a copy of Cleopatra's Daughter which just came in last week, I can't wait to read it!

Happy Reading this week.

Sassy Brit @ Alternative-Read.com said...

Hi! Hope you are still enjoying Cleopatra's Daughter by Michelle Moran! I loved it!

I'm a little late in the day with my Monday stuff, but without further ado, here are my answers!

Have a great reading week!

Sassy
:)

Cackleberry Homestead said...

Great week - Sorry to hear that Cleopatra's Daughter is taking awhile. I loved that one and sped through it. I'm curious, is it just not working for you or are you short on time. I know I go through spells where things just don't interest me.

Anonymous said...

I'm a lot like you--I tend to try and just read what grabs my attention instead of planning out what books I'm going to read when.

kayerj said...

I love the cover art on The Secret Hour. Thanks for stopping by today. Oh, and I have never checked lists to find a book.

Wendi said...

Receive me Falling sounds quite interesting. :)

And I agree on the book lists - with so many different likes and dislikes, one general list doesn't always match what I would expect to see on there.

Here's my Mailbox! ~ Wendi

Shannansbooks said...

Is Cleopatra's daughter not good? I like Nefertiti but it does get a bit long winded. I wanted to read that one. I look forward to your review on that one.

Teddyree said...

I loved Cleopatra's Daughter, have a great reading week :-)

Veens said...

Well.. I check out lists to see how many of them I have read.. or better said.. is there any of my favs on that list?! I found quite a few and was happy.. but that's it really!

The premise of Receive me Falling by Erika Robuck sounds really interesting! Would love to hear your thoughts on it :)

I actually like Cleopatra's Daughter, and read it real fast! You are not liking it is it?!

Yvonne said...

I agree about the 100 Favorite Books of All Time. That really is subjective.

Enjoy your books - I love Luanne Rice's books.

Alice said...

I like the look of the Luanne Rice one. Happy reading!

Natalie W said...

I've read Receive Me Falling, its an excellent book! The Tintin books sounds so good, I'd love to read one.