Thursday, March 13, 2008

Booking through Editing

How about a chance to play editor-in-chief? Fill in the blanks:

__________ would have been a much better book if ______________________.


I write a lot of poetry on my other blog, rooted. I did start a novel and gave it up after 6700+ words. I think, I do not have the temperament to write a novel. I can't develop the characters well. Well, thats what I think. So I do not think I am competent enough to answer this.

Getting back to the question, there are many books, I have started and never could finish.
Ulysses by James Joyce being foremost. I could not go beyond page 4, so I can't comment on the rest of it. However, if only it was written in an easy manner! Catch 22 by Joseph Keller, is no doubt a great book. Nonetheless, the tomfoolery gets too much at times. How much can you take? Another author, I have not been able to read fully is Jane Austen. Somehow, she puts me off. But I do like the Bronte sisters.

J K Rowling made a mess of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. The ending was totally unacceptable. Tell me, who wants to see a grown up Harry with children to boot? I did not!

This is loaded qustion and is going to open a can of worms. I think I will leave it as such. Reading is so subjective. Why bother to finish a book, if one does not like it? Instead of trying to change anything it, simply throw it away! A bit drastic maybe...

0 comments: