Saturday, October 31, 2015

Saturday Snapshot: Back to saree posts!

24/10/2015

60/100

#100sareepact

#maakisaree

Dussehra. A time for introspection. How many of us do that? I am going to leave it at that....open-ended......

It seems like aeons when we used to get together to celebrate Dussehra. Maa used to do the puja by making sweets from coconut, which is known as kakara in Odisha. Any Odia will know that no puja is complete without making kakara, a sweet made from wheat flour,elaborately prepared and coconut fillings, that too elaborately prepared. After the filling, deep frying.

I can even now smell the air while all the preparations were going on. One by one, my brothers left the nest. My dad passed away. Maa lost interest. I was neutral. Now we get sweets and fruits and do the puja.

We all met for festivals in the initial years of dad's passing away. Then it stopped. I tried my best to hold the family together but one can only do so much.

I and my brothers are very close, no doubt about it. However, somewhere down the line we get busy and don't bother to meet. A small misunderstanding gets bigger and bigger.

My eldest brother lives in Bangalore, other two are in Delhi.

This year, Mom, I and my youngest brother and his family went to my second brother's place. We had no plans of that. It just happened. I am thankful to God. Festivals are about bonding. Hopefully, we will restart the tradition.

I draped maa's saree, a Sambalpuri with checks in the middle. It must be 35+ years old and I have draped it numerous times. I love it to bits. Draping it for the first time for the pact. My 60 day one! What better way to celebrate it!
Paired it with my full sleeved puffed red Ikat blouse, which I have had for 20+ years. 

Accessorised with my Silver Jewellery bought from Fabindia ......I seem to own only Pearls, Silver, Gold and Platinum. I need other kinds too.....

Maa has draped the Kargil saree........none of my SILs was in a saree....And there are no pics with my nieces. Eldest one left for her home. (she is married). Younger one was taking the pictures! Missed you, Kayrvi...Kinu

Happy Dussehra to all of you.....






20/10/2015

59/100

#100sareepact

Wrote a long post and it got lost. I don't have patience to write again. So I am doing the essentials.

I did Puja hopping with maa in two of Dwarka puja pandals. Attended the Sandhya aarti in one. I love the sound of dhaak!

Both being vegetarian, we ate nothing except a kulfi each. So much for khaana peena. Worst thing is to get home and cook!

Draped this heavy South Silk saree, pink and gold. Peacock motifs on aanchal and border. Anchal has heavy gold work. 
I had bought this saree from Bangalore in 2006. Got fall and piko done. However, the blouse remain unstitched.

I matched it with a multi coloured readymade blouse bought locally. Accessorised with pearl jhumkis bought from Fabindia.

Maa draped a grey black Bomkai cotton, gift from one of her sisters. I want that saree.

The pics have not come out well but still posting those. ..



8 comments:

bermudaonion said...

I love all the red!

Jackie McGuinness said...

It seems families everywhere are losing touch which is such a shame. I guess it is just the way it is. Everyone gets busy...

grammajudyb said...

So glad you were able to spend time with your brother. Thanks for sharing all your sarees. They are beautiful!

Vicki said...

Love all the colors. Glad you and your mom got to spend time with your brother and family.

Sandra Nachlinger said...

Beautiful sarees, especially the pink and gold one. I don't get to see my brothers as often as I'd like to -- maybe once a year -- but it's important to maintain that family connection. Looks like you and your mother had a good time.

Indrani said...

Lovely sarees. I liked the first red blouse. Very stylish.

Louise said...

I always love your saree posts-the colours are so beautiful.

Mystica said...

I know the feeling of family drifting. Same situation with me. Just such busy lives and all growing apart. We dont even get together for Christmas as invariably someone is overseas. With my three children emmigrated, the holidays have become too much trouble for just both of us!