Friday, November 22, 2013

Book Beginnings on Fridays/The Friday 56/Friday Four Fill-in Fun Blog Hop

Book Beginnings on Fridays hosted by Rose City Reader, where bloggers share the first sentence or more of a current read, as well as initial thoughts about the sentence(s), impressions of the book, or anything else that the opening inspires.

"I'll drive," he said the moment the inspector rolled down the window. "With you at the wheel, the best we can hope for is to end up in a ditch."

The Friday 56 is a fun meme to do hosted by Freda's Voice. If you'd like to join on the fun go to The Friday 56.

Rules:
*Grab a book, any book.
*Turn to page 56 or 56% in your eReader.
*Find any sentence that grabs you.
*Post it.
*Link it here.

"That's why you never land a girlfriend. You're hopeless."

Gold, Frankincense and Dust by Valerio Varesi

Parma. A multiple pile-up occurs on the autostrada into the city. A truck transporting cattle skids off the road. Dozens of cows and bulls go on the rampage, injured and crazed. In the chaos, the burned body of a young woman is found at the side of the road. Her death has no apparent link to the carnage. Commissario Soneri is assigned the case. It is a welcome distraction: his mercurial lover Angela has decided to pursue other options, leaving him even more morose than usual. The dead woman is identified as Nina Iliescu, a Romanian immigrant whose beauty had enchanted a string of wealthy lovers. Temptress, muse, angel - she was all things to all men. Her murder conceals a crime and a sacrilege, and even in death she has a surprise waiting for Soneri.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

PhotobucketEvery Friday, Hilary of Feeling Beachie lists four statements with a blank for you to fill in on your own blogs.

This week’s statements:


  • I don’t remember the last time I truly did laugh out loud.
  • Sometimes I wish certain gadgets were NOT invented.
  • I love when someone does something good for you.
  •  If I could I would do sleep all day.
  • 10 comments:

    Harvee said...

    I have liked several mysteries set in Italy. This author is new to me, but I'd like to try it.

    Anonymous said...

    sounds different

    Yvonne said...

    Great 56! Sounds like a good read.

    Sometimes those gadgets drive me crazy too.

    wcs53 said...

    Great beginning and 56, but it sounds like someone's self-esteem is taking a bit of a hit there :)

    fredamans said...

    LOL at that beginning... not a lot of faith in the persons' driving...
    And that 56... omgosh!
    Sounds like a good and entertaining read!

    Happy weekend!

    Yvonne @ Fiction Books Reviews said...

    Hi Gautami,

    This is definitely a new author for my list. Your lines and the synopsis, set the scene so definitively and when I checked out the 'Soneri' series on Fantastic Fiction, the three book covers seen together, set the seal on the deal for me!

    http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/v/valerio-varesi/

    I can relate totally to your first answer about laughing out loud. Reasons to be that cheerful are in short supply right now and a little bit of someone doing something good for me, might be nice!

    Thanks for sharing such a great post and have a good weekend,

    Yvonne

    LA Botchar said...

    I always say when I first get up, that I will go back to bed once the kids are on the bus -- and then I never do. It seems such a luxury to do such a thing when everyone else is working. Then I promise I will go to bed early: nope. not that either. LOL

    Elizabeth said...

    LOL...love it.

    THANKS for sharing.


    Enjoy your weekend.

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My Book Beginnings

    Hilary said...

    sleeping all day sounds great - but I;d be happy to sleep through the night :)

    Anonymous said...

    Oh, I'd love to be able to sleep one day away :)