Sunday, January 30, 2011

TSS: Sharing Poetry With You

Every Sunday, I aim to share poetry with you which had had some impact on me. I am Calling it Sharing Poetry With You. As I didn't have a button for it and also don't know how to make one, I requested Violet Crush as well as Veens to make one for me. Both were kind enough to do that for me. Here I am posting both the buttons.

Made by Violet Crush 
Made by Veens

Feel free to use either. I love them both!




Today I share here the following:

Saddest Poem by Pablo Neruda
I can write the saddest poem of all tonight.

Write, for instance: "The night is full of stars,
and the stars, blue, shiver in the distance."

The night wind whirls in the sky and sings.

I can write the saddest poem of all tonight.
I loved her, and sometimes she loved me too.

On nights like this, I held her in my arms.
I kissed her so many times under the infinite sky.

She loved me, sometimes I loved her.
How could I not have loved her large, still eyes?

I can write the saddest poem of all tonight.
To think I don't have her. To feel that I've lost her.

To hear the immense night, more immense without her.
And the poem falls to the soul as dew to grass.

What does it matter that my love couldn't keep her.
The night is full of stars and she is not with me.

That's all. Far away, someone sings. Far away.
My soul is lost without her.

As if to bring her near, my eyes search for her.
My heart searches for her and she is not with me.

The same night that whitens the same trees.
We, we who were, we are the same no longer.

I no longer love her, true, but how much I loved her.
My voice searched the wind to touch her ear.

Someone else's. She will be someone else's. As she once
belonged to my kisses.
Her voice, her light body. Her infinite eyes.

I no longer love her, true, but perhaps I love her.
Love is so short and oblivion so long.

Because on nights like this I held her in my arms,
my soul is lost without her. 


Although this may be the last pain she causes me,
and this may be the last poem I write for her.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I think all of us have felt like this at some point of our lives. Love we lost. But it stays forever in our heart and mind. That sense of loss lingers on....
Tell me what you felt after reading this poem. And feel free to share your favourite poet/poetry with me.

8 comments:

Jacqueline Howett said...

What is there to add? You have said it all.The pain, the sadness and yet love breathes in our existence.

Literary Feline said...

What a sad and beautiful poem! It makes me want to go curl up next to my husband (who is still sleeping) and give him a big hug.

Vasilly said...

That's one of my favorite poems by Neruda. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Gigi Ann said...

Very sad but lovely poem. Thanks for sharing it.

Gavin said...

Neruda is one of my favorite poets. Thank you for sharing this with us.

Athira said...

What a beautiful poem! Thanks for sharing it.

Alyce said...

That is the perfect poem to describe those feelings.

Laurie said...

What a beautiful poem; I too admire Neruda.
Today, we're offering very different poems! Mine are by Rilke and Hopkins, and both offering expansiveness...
Thank you for giving these poems to us each Sunday.