Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Teaser Tuesday: Silent Kill by David Fingerman


Leonard Hout choked back a cry; and vomit bubbled up his throat.  A man lay crumpled on the back seat, his dead eyes staring at the roof.
~Page 8

Title: Silent Kill
Author: David Fingerman
ISBN: 9781603182300
Publisher: L & L Dreamspell/2010

In Silent Kill the reader is aware of what is going on and by whom but the police are not aware of anything.  And the killings and kidnappings do not appear to be connected either.

A cop is found missing, his body is found in a lake. As he was a friend of hers, Minneapolis police officer Louisa Miller, while investigating finds something common, a very big guy seen in the vicinity of all the crimes committed.  Her brother Andrew, a fresh recruit, tells that to his mentor officer, when they get a call for more murders. All these seem to revolve around a Rottweiler.

What makes the killer go on a rampage is a voice in head. A voice from his past. Why?

The kidnappings are related in a way. The murderers are related to that Rottweiler. And all these are somehow connected. Louise Miller has to find the reason and also nab the killer. And in midst of all this something happens, and it becomes very personal for her.

I liked the pace of the novel. And the search for that killer keeps us in our toes although we know who is he. The characters have depth and Louise has attitude. Andrew is too eager to learn. The kidnapped persons too fight to get free. I liked their dialogue and their interaction with each other. Dr. Gillespy seems to have an interesting past. The author kept that open as he did with the psychopath killer. But I loved that Dog, who had gone through so much. Yes, he is a dog, with a past. He remains lovable for us.

It might be gritty, and definitely not an easy thriller, rough at places with plots, sub plots. A few resolved, some left intact. Maybe for another novel. All in all, I recommend this for Crime Fiction readers.

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now, this is my kind of book on regular reading days. LOL.

Sharing you with my teasers.

Happy Tuesday!

Harvee said...

I hope the rottweiler didn't do the killings! Nice tease. Here's mine.

Gigi Ann said...

I just read a thriller, they are not my kind of reading. One thriller a year is about all I can handle.

Yvonne said...

Very good review. I love thrillers.

Belinda said...

ick! Hope you're enjoying it. You can find my FEVERED teaser at The Bookish Snob

Unknown said...

What a captivating book and disturbing teaser. I enjoy thriller/mystery books and this sounds like a good one!

CMash said...

Sounds like my kind of book...can't wait to read your review to see if it goes on the tbr bucket list.

Anonymous said...

Good teaser, but sounds a little gritty for me.

Anonymous said...

here's mine http://tributebooksmama.blogspot.com/2011/01/teaser-tuesday-high-spirits-tale-of.html

fredamans said...

Great review and teaser. Sounds like my kind of thriller!

http://fredasvoice.blogspot.com/2011/01/teaser-tuesday_10.html

Jenny Q said...

That's a good teaser! Thanks for visiting mine!

Lisa (Southern Girl Reads) said...

Creepy teaser!!

BLHmistress said...

Ok that isn't a good visual I'm picturing in my head after reading this. I don't read many thrillers might have to give one a try once and awhile.
My Teaser Tuesday

Elizabeth O. said...

Great teaser!

Emma Michaels said...

Happy Teaser Tuesday!
My teaser is here
Please check out and comment on my interview with a wonderful nonprofit 'Mom to Madre' that helps spread literacy to families and helps mothers adjust to differences in their lives when going from one language to another! Thank you!

Sincerely,
Emma Michaels
http://EmmaMichaels.Blogspot.com

Aisle B said...

ugh... vomit is so not my thing... ugh... thanks for freaking me out ;P

I had no clue who Fisher was and Endgame is amazing for shedding light on his life. Very troubling and genius is definitely there.

Novroz said...

Very intense. It sounds like a great thriller

Unknown said...

How terrifying. I'd be extremely upset too.

Marce said...

What a teaser, sounds absolutely gritty.

Veens said...

I really need to read more crime thrillers. This one sounds good.