Sunday, January 9, 2011

Sunday Salon: Start of a weekly feature Sharing Poetry With You

As most are aware, I love poetry. I also have a poetry blog, rooted, where I post my own poetry. When I read a poetry book, I post reviews on both my blogs. But I don't really post poetry that I have read and liked. I am thinking of making Sharing Poetry With You, a Sunday feature here. I will post a poem, which has made an impact on me in the past few days. All are welcome to post their thoughts in the comment section. And also any poem, they have liked. If any one wishes, I will post any poem they wish for others too read. However, do give due credit to the poet.

I am no good at creating buttons. Would appreciate it if someone helped me with that.

Today, I start with a poem by Mary Oliver.

Invitation from Mary Oliver's Red Bird

Oh do you have time
to linger
for just a little while
out of your busy

and very important day
for the goldfinches
that have gathered
in a field of thistles

for a musical battle,
to see who can sing
the highest note,
or the lowest,

or the most expressive of mirth,
or the most tender?
Their strong, blunt beaks
drink the air

as they strive
melodiously
not for your sake
and not for mine

and not for the sake of winning
but for sheer delight and gratitude—
believe us, they say,
it is a serious thing

just to be alive
on this fresh morning
in the broken world.
I beg of you,

do not walk by
without pausing
to attend to this
rather ridiculous performance.

It could mean something.
It could mean everything.
It could be what Rilke meant, when he wrote:
You must change your life
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This poem tells me to stop and pause from our so-called busy lives. We need to behave silly and foolish, in order to appreciate the finer things. Each little gesture means something. It might lead to something bigger. Or maybe give us the joy, pure joy, that we all need.

What does it say to you? Say one word or many words....your choice..!!

11 comments:

Sarah at SmallWorld said...

OH my goodness--I absolutely love this. Wow. Thank you for sharing.

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

This is a fabulous message in lyrical form...another perspective on the "stop and smell the roses" theme.

Thanks for sharing.

Here's my "non-poetic" salon:

(click on my name)

Vasilly said...

What a wonderful poem! Thanks for sharing it with us.

Carrie K. said...

I love Mary Oliver - thanks for sharing!

Alyce said...

That is a beautiful poem! I'm so glad you shared it with us.

Nan said...

Great poem! Slowing down and enjoying the moment is something I've really been working on the last few years, and this is a great way to remind me to do it.

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

What a lovely poem --making me think of nature and getting back to the simpler things in life.

Gavin said...

I love this idea and hope to join you posting poems. I'm no good at button though:)

Mason Canyon said...

A wonderful message and a good reminder.

Mason
Thoughts in Progress

ds said...

Yes, Ms. Oliver knows whereof she writes. Beautiful choice--thank you!

Trish @ Love, Laughter, Insanity said...

What a great idea, Gautami! Hope you're having a lovely week. :)