Thursday, January 6, 2011

Literary Blog Hop: The Beginning

Literary Blog Hop is hosted by The Blue Bookcase. If you features book reviews of literary fiction, classic literature, and general literary discussion, you too can join in!

This week's question is:

How did you find your way to reading literary fiction and nonfiction?

My mom had a collection of classic literature. She used to read aloud to us although I don't I understood any at a very young age. It was my dad who bought me the abridged edition of most of those classics. I especially remember Gulliver's Travels, Silas Marner, Tom Sawyer and Robin Hood. (I still have those old abridged editions somewhere.  Yes, I read Enid Blyton books along with Nancy Drew,and Hardy Boys too. And lot of Mills & Boons and Harlequins. But never stopped reading classics. My brothers used to buy me books all the time. They knew what I owned and what I needed.

In a way, I have always been reading literary fiction and non-fiction. I do read varied genres but my reading is serious most of the times. My parents and my brothers encouraged me right from when I started to read.  Now I try to do the same with my nephews and nieces...

10 comments:

bermudaonion said...

I'm not sure how I got to literary fiction - I think my reading just evolved.

Melody said...

My parents thought reading was very important, but we didn't really have a home library to speak of, so I've definitely had a journey to arrive at literary fiction. I wish I could have been introduced to the good stuff at such a young age!

Anonymous said...

It's lovely to have a family who support your reading. Mine did too, and now when I read older books I wonder what previous generations thought of them. We have my grandfather's Dickens collection and I so wish I knew which was his favourite.

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

It helped me to have support from other people. It's nice to see that you are now supporting others in return.

Here is my post for the Blog Hop.

Veens said...

I think I have said this before- that my Dad used to buy me chunks of books to 'shut me up' during those 3 day Kerala trips in Train :) And that is how I became a reader.

I love him for that and more.

Anonymous said...

I remember a time when all the books I owned (and they were many) were gifts. People always knew I read a lot and so thought it the easiest thing in the world to gift me books. Good ones!

It's nice that your folks supported you. It makes reading even more pleasurable.:)

Unknown said...

So far mothers and fathers are a common thread in the responses I've read. My dad wasn't a big reader til later in life, but my mom was a great model (and had the best books!)

Anonymous said...

Good for you to keep the literary tradition going by encouraging your nephews and nieces.

@parridhlantern said...

my grandparents had a hardbacked classic series that decorated their bookcase, they never read them & appeared amazed when I did.

Em said...

I also used to received a lot of books for presents as I was younger, but it stopped once I left home. I guess they didn't really know what to get me anymore. Thankfully now, there is the Amazon wishlist!