Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Teaser Tuesdays: Pieces of Sky by Kaki Warner

Holding his shirttail over his nose and mouth, Brady bent over Sancho's twisted, smoking body to see if he was still alive.
He was. Barely. His face looked melted. Hip lips were gone, his teeth showing in a ghoulish grimace.

~Page 342

Title: Pieces of Sky
Author: Kaki Warner

ISBN: 978-0425232149
Publisher: Berkley Trade/2010
Pages: 432

Prim and Proper Jessica Abigail Rebecca Thornton, a milliner, is running away from her brother-in-law John, when she meets rough and tough rancher, Brady Wilkins on a stagecoach ride. He is her exact opposite. But he too has some issues of the past, which have to be dwelt with. By quirk of fate, Jessica ends up in his ranch and it is discovered that she is pregnant and can't be moved from there. She is stuck there till she gives birth. Initially she does not like it there but slowly she and Brady fall in love with each other. That's when vengeful ex-con Sancho Ramirez turns up with his half brother to tear their lives apart. The ranch had initially belonged to Ramirez's father.

First of the Blood Rose trilogy, we get to know the Wilkin brothers and the story behind their feud with Ramirez. Brady has the responsibility to protect his family, no matter what and Ramirez is totally evil. Despite being emotional, this book is not cloying and speaks of human endurance in the face of evil.

One of the memorable characters of this book is Ramirez's sister Nina, who is the opposite of her brother. She has lived with the Wilkins family for so long. And she shares a beautiful relationship with Brady.

Thanks to the author for sending me this book along with the ARC of Open Country, the second one in the series.

24 comments:

Lisa said...

that sounds interesting! wanna read that lol

Here's mine

Marg said...

I have this book here to read!

Mine is here

Amy said...

I love the cover. Good teaser.

Yvonne said...

Sounds good!

Nise' said...

Ewww! Gotta read it!

Andrea said...

Oh wow, that's a gruesome scene.

My teaser.

Vanessa said...

Ewww. Sounds gruesome.

Thanks for stopping by my blog!

Lisa (Southern Girl Reads) said...

Sounds great and the cover is lovely!

Melissa O. said...

Speaking of covers, this one is beautiful! Thanks for stopping by my TT post. Fantastic teaser, too, btw!

Alayne said...

Ooh great teaser, very intriguing. I have two this week at The Crowded Leaf.

kayerj said...

sounds kind of scary. Thanks for stopping by.

Jennifer said...

How dreadful! Yet, I want to know more.

Jo-Jo said...

Oh my goodness! Definitely has me curious what lead up to that moment.

Natalie W said...

Great teaser! Sounds like something I would be interested in.
My teaser

Missy B. said...

Whew! That's a graphic teaser!

The Westie Loving Therapist said...

Very descriptive teaser! I could see myself standing over him and knowing exactly what I saw. :)

Thanks for visiting my blog!

Kaye said...

Yow, what happened to him? Love the cover to this one.

My teaser and contest link is here

Anonymous said...

Geez, what happened to him?

jlshall said...

Wow, pretty graphic! Sounds like an exciting read. Excellent teaser!

Marce said...

Great teaser, great cover and thanks for putting summary, I am intrigued.. You bring to my attention books I wouldn't hear of.

Staci said...

sounds like an interesting read!

Laya said...

Teaser's kind of gruesome, but the book sounds interesting!

Thank you for dropping by my teaser!

Beth said...

Not a pretty picture.

Book Soulmates said...

Oh wow, that's a bit gruesome!

Here are our our teasers.

♥Isalys