Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Teaser Tuesdays: The Girl Who Played With Fire by Stieg Larsson

She shoved the taser into his crotch and fired off 50,000 volts, holding the electrodes against him for at least twenty seconds. Nieminen was transformed into a vegetable.
~Page 526

Title: The Girl Who Played With Fire
Author: Stieg Larsson
ISBN: 9781906694159
Publisher: Maclehose Press/2009
Pages: 649

As everyone knows, The Girl Who Played with fire is the second book of the Millennium Trilogy, the first book being, The Girl With A Dragon Tattoo. When the book opens, we find that Salander has travelled a lot after the first book. Here she buys a luxurious apartment, furnishing it with the best of everything. And no one is aware of that fact. She gives her old apartment to one of her friends' and receives all her mail there.
In this book, we get to learn a lot about Lisbeth Salander's past. How the system is responsible in crushing her, which includes her teachers, doctors, lawyers and media. Everyone is insensitive to her and ill treated her at one time or the other. Only three people seem to care for her, the owner of the Millennium, Mikael Blomkvist, and Armansky, her past employer and Palmgren, her previous mentor/guardian.
When three murders occur in a single night, Salander is suspected of those as her fingerprints are found on the gun. However, no one can find her anywhere. Blomkvist comes into the picture as two of those who have been murdered were going to write a big sex-trafficking, which was to be one of Millennium's big expose.
When Blomkvist sets about finding out about the murders, he is horrified to learn about the ill treatment of Lisbeth since she was 13 years old. Somehow the trail leads to something which connects to Lisbeth's past. The reader is just as horrified as Blomkvist.
It is a long book, which explains a lot about Lisbeth, her past and her present. The way she deals with issues. Nothing scares her. She is a genius in hacking and uses that to her advantage. She has fought the system for the last 10-12 years and has survived. The author created an unforgettable character in Lisbeth Salander. One might forget the story but not her.
I look forward to read the third book.

28 comments:

Jan von Harz said...

50,000 watts to the groin would definitely turn any man into a veggie. I have this on my summer read list. Guess i better get the first one though. Awesome teaser.

Harvee said...

I read and liked the book, though it had a different cover. Haven't read the first or the 3rd as yet. Nice tease. Here's my teaser.

Amy said...

I haven't read this series but they're on my TBR.

Nise' said...

Great tease! I am looking forward to the third book too!

Audrey said...

I do believe I have seen this book other weeks, it must be a good one :)
HERE is my teaser for this week!

Alayne said...

I want to read this series. Great teaser. I have two more teasers this week at The Crowded Leaf.

Lisa (Southern Girl Reads) said...

I'm hoping to read this series this year. Great teaser!

Marce said...

I hear this is an amazing series, my brother LOVED it but I can't get past the development of the story in the first, I will try again.

My Teaser

http://teawithmarce.blogspot.com/2010/04/teaser-tuesday-motherhood-is-murder.html

Lori L. Clark Art said...

That had to hurt! I haven't read this series yet.

Anonymous said...

Ouch! I know that had to hurt... great teaser...

Thanks for stopping by my blog: Heres mine

http://chrissysworldofbooks.blogspot.com/2010/04/its-teaser-tuesday-grab-your-book-and.html

fredamans said...

Can't wait to read this series, and see the movie!

http://fredasvoice.blogspot.com/2010/04/teaser_26.html

Unknown said...

ouch, that sounds really painful! lol I love the the entire series by Larsson. I hope you enjoy it. And thanks for stopping by. Am a new follower.

Book Sake said...

I need to get started on this series before I see the movie. Great teaser.

My teaser is from Jessica’s Guide to Dating on the Dark Side at BookSake.

Jo-Jo said...

Ouch! This sounds like a trilogy that I need to look into.

Deb said...

I loved the first book. Haven't had a chance to pick up this one yet. With this teaser I can't wait to pick it up.

Thanks

Anonymous said...

Meaning to read this next week as it happens!

Here's mine: http://hampshireflyer.wordpress.com/2010/04/27/teaser-tuesday-13/

Beth said...

Ouch! Thanks for visiting.

Tea said...

OOOOOOOOOOOh, I bet he felt pain, I mean real pain. I need to read the first book in this series. I hear so much about it. I've got to catch up.

http://readwithtea.blogspot.com/2010/04/tuesday-teaser-by-shouldbereadingwordpr.html

Anonymous said...

I haven't read this yet, but it's sitting on my shelf. Salander is fascinating.

Cecelia said...

Well, that's quite the action, isn't it? Sounds incredibly painful. Hope you're enjoying the read! Great teaser.

And thanks for dropping by my blog earlier.

Emidy @ Une Parole said...

I've been very interested in reading this series. Haha, I love that teaser!
Here's mine.

Staci said...

I've often dreamed of doing that to certain people!!! Loving the teaser and I need to read this series!

pussreboots said...

I didn't know. I mean, I've heard about both books but didn't know they were part of a series. I haven't read either one. Enjoy your book. Thank you for stopping by my teaser.

Bryan R. Terry said...

I really need to pick up this series one of these days.

My Teaser is HERE

Laya said...

Ouch. It most certainly would... 50k watts are no joke. I really should look for this series as it looks like an interesting world. Good teaser!

Thank you for dropping by mine!

The Westie Loving Therapist said...

Sounds like the character with the taser has a lot of anger and is gaining control of her life or at least trying to.

Thanks for visiting my blog. :)

Faye said...

I am so eager to read this trilogy. A friend recommended "Dragon Tattoo" and then I recently saw the excellent film based on the book. Thanks for your great synopsis. I appreciate knowing some of the background 50,000W--Ouch!

My TT is from Brooklyn by Irish writer Colm Toibin. Link: Summit Musings .

Girl Detective said...

I alternately love and am troubled by these first books in the trilogy. The violence against women is almost unreadable, yet the character of Salander is mesmerizing.