Sunday, February 14, 2010

Monday: Mailbox/Musings/Whereabouts

Monday Mailbox is hosted by Marcia.

I received the following books this past:

The Secret Keeper by Paul Harris from the author

When Danny Kellerman, a British journalist in the midst of a flourishing career and a faltering marriage, receives an unexpected note pleading for help from Maria Tirado, a children's relief worker who was his lover during his brief assignment in Sierra Leone four years earlier, he does a Google search on her. To his horror, Danny learns that Maria was murdered before her note reached him in what authorities in Sierra Leone are sweeping under the carpet as a botched roadside robbery. Determined to learn the truth, Danny finagles his way back to West Africa, where he uncovers dangerous truths that suggest his government and his friends aren't the upstanding paragons he took them for.

Lethal People by John Locke

While pursuing a budding romance with the beautiful Kathleen Gray, Creed stumbles upon a plucky—but horribly burned—little girl named Addie Dawes. Creed's suspicion about the fire that killed Addie's family puts him on a collision course with crime boss Joe DeMeo, in what soon becomes an issue of kill or be killed.

DeMeo, a relentless killer who will stop at nothing to protect his empire—targets Creed and his loved ones for death. But Creed has plans of his own. Employing a bizarre cast of characters including a giant, a rival crime lord, an angry midget bent on world conquest—and a team of circus clowns— Creed goes on the attack, with hilarious results.


Lethal Experiment by John Locke

Donovan Creed, former CIA assassin, is a smart-aleck tough guy who can't resist a noble cause. Despite a ton of baggage and a penchant for call girls, he always finds a way to beat the bad guys. In this sequel to Lethal People, Creed is forced to choose between his thriving contract-killer business and his desire to live a normal life with the beautiful Kathleen Gray and her newly-adopted daughter, Addie. Before that can happen, he has to take care of some lethal business involving a former lover.

Saving Rachel by John Locke

What if the best morning of your life suddenly turned into your worst nightmare? Sam Case is about to find out. Saving Rachel is the story of what happens when killers force a man to choose between his wife and his mistress...and the one he rejects must die. But wait--all is not as it appears to be. In fact, nothing is what it appears to be!

Devil's Food Cake by Josi Kilpack

It's been years since author Thom Mortenson has been back to Garrison, Colorado. As part of the library fundraising committee, who invited him to speak, Sadie Hoffmiller wants everything to be perfect—right down to the homemade Devil’s Food Cake she made herself. Murder, however, was not on the menu.

When Thom's manager ends up dead on stage, Sadie does what any woman with a history of solving murders does--jumps right in to offer her guidance and expertise. The police, however, are not very appreciative. In fact, they’d rather she just go home. But can Sadie help it if she keeps stumbling over information? Can she help it if the people intricately woven into the deception keep crossing her path? The more she learns, the broader the spectrum becomes and when the police refuse to take her seriously, Sadie has no choice but to sidestep them altogether in the pursuit of justice.

With her son Shawn at her side, her reputation on the line, and a full cast of suspicious characters, Sadie Hoffmiller is once again cooking her way through a case that offers far more questions than answers.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Musing Mondays2 Do you keep reference books on your shelves at home? What’s your first port of call when you need information – the internet or a book?

I usually have a dictionary, infact I have many. As I write poetry, I do use those often. I also have old copy of a Wren & Martin Grammar book. I don't have much use of it but it is a much loved, much thumbed one. I also like those word power books, i.e., those which help us in increasing our vocabulary. I own a lot of those. At least I used to. Now I think, many of those are with my nephews and nieces. Other than that, I have physics books, and also a few cross stitch books, a book on benefits of tea. I frankly don't think I have any other reference books. I find the internet pretty useful!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I finished:

Plain Pursuit by Beth Wiseman

I am in midst of reading:

Too many books!

I plan to read:

Whatever I can!

I posted reviews of:

Plain Pursuit by Beth Wiseman
Saving Rachel by John Locke
Ariel by Sylvia Plath

18 comments:

bermudaonion said...

What a great week in books! Devil's Food Cake piques my interest.

Faye( Ramblings of a Teenage Bookworm) said...

Happy V-Day! awesome books,ditto w/ the Devils food cake. Hope U enjoy them,Happy reading :D

Brooke from The Bluestocking Guide said...

I could go for some Devil's Food Cake.

Here is mine

Staci said...

You received some great books!! Enjoy and have a great week!

Kaye said...

Nice variety. I got Devil's Food Cake too and I can't wait to get a slice of that read. Sorry, I couldn't resist! Have a great week and happy reading! My MM is here

Mary (Bookfan) said...

Nice mailbox. Lots of John Locke : )
Enjoy them all!

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

I have not heard of the John Locke series; the others sound great as well. Enjoy all of your new books!

Lori said...

Wow you have some serious reading ahead of you.

As for the musing...I pretty much use the internet. Here's Mine

BurtonReview said...

Looks like you've got some good books, and a good mix.. Enjoy!
My Mailbox is here

CeeCee said...

Yeah, I keep a dictionary on my desk to linger over. Here's MINE

You received some good books, btw.

fredamans said...

Nice loot.
http://fredasvoice.blogspot.com/2010/02/in-my-mailbox_13.html

and I always go to the net first...
http://fredasvoice.blogspot.com/2010/02/musing-monday_15.html

Beth(bookaholicmom) said...

Devil's Food Cake and The Secret Keeper have both caught my eye! Enjoy all your new reads!

Alayne said...

The Secret Keeper sounds intriguing. Happy reading. My mailbox is at The Crowded Leaf.

Julie J. said...

Looks like a good book week! Enjoy your new reads! My mailbox is posted at My Own Little Corner of the World

Shooting Stars Mag said...

seems like you got some intense reads this week. nice!

Want to enter my Book Lover's Basket Giveaway?? It would help my family a ton in the long run too!!

http://shootingstarsmag.blogspot.com/2010/02/book-lovers-prize-basket-international.html

lauren

Serena said...

Great list of books. I loved The Secret Keeper! Fantastic book.

Teddyree said...

I only read one book this week too. Saving Rachel sounds good, I'll have to check out your review. Happy reading this week!

Anna said...

I have The Secret Keeper but haven't read it yet. Enjoy all your new books!

--Anna
Diary of an Eccentric