Sunday, February 7, 2010

TSS: Try Darkness by James Scott Bell

The nun hit me in the mouth and said, "Get out of my house."
Jaw throbbing, I said, "I can't believe you just did that."
"This is my house," she said. "You want more? Come on back in."

Title:
Try Darkness
Author:
James Scott Bell
ISBN: 9781599952437
Publisher: Center Street/2010

Pages: 291

If the characters in a novel are a lawyer, a six-year old girl, and a nun who can throw a good punch, then that book has to be a winner. Ty Buchanan is a former trial lawyer, now living in a trailer on the grounds of St. Monica. Now he mostly provides legal aid to those, who can't really afford it. He has a past, in which he was accused of murdering his fiancee. When a woman with a six-year old daughter, calls on him for legal aid and is murdered, he has no other option to take in the little girl and also try to find why was her mother killed.

With Sister Mary on his side, he gets into the middle of the dark side of Los Angeles, where taking a life is so very easy. He knows that he has to protect the girl at any cost.
Father Bob too has a past but is ever ready to help those who want it. All of them make a winning team and have to get to the bottom of it. The most powerful people want everything to be stay hidden and can go to any length to keep Ty's mouth shut.

With witty dialogues and endearing characters, I couldn't put it down until I finished it. I found Sister Mary a very interesting character, who is not afraid to speak her mind, plays a good game of basketball and is not above throwing punches. Ty has some kind of feelings for her but can't pursue it as she is a nun. The cherubic Kylie wins our heart. She is a spunky girl, who loves Ty and Sister Mary.

Try Darkness is second book in the series but stands alone. The suspense is maintained till the end. The characters are well developed and the surprise elements makes us want to check out more books by James Scott Bell. Thanks to the author for my copy.

Also reviewed by:

Between the Pages


5 comments:

BooksPlease said...

An unusual nun! This book looks most interesting.

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

This does sound compelling!

My Sunday Salon:

http://laurel-rainsnowsaccidentallife.blogspot.com/2010/02/sunday-salon.html

bermudaonion said...

This sounds like a great series with those fun characters!

Anonymous said...

Well, your first sentence grabbed my attention :) I'll have to dd this to my list.

Lynda Coker said...

I'm with you, I loved this book. Can't wait for the next one in the series. Enjoyed your review.

My review of Try Darkness is at http://betweenthelinesandmore.blogspot.com/2010/02/try-darkness-by-james-scott-bell.html#comments