Sunday, February 7, 2010

Monday: Mailbox/Musings/Whereabouts

Monday Mailbox is hosted by Marcia.

I received the following books this past:

Plain Pursuit by Beth Wiseman

When Carley Marek takes a hiatus from her job, she leaves Texas and visits her friend Lillian in Amish country, Pennsylvania. Carley isn’t there long when she meets Lillian’s charming—but shunned—brother-in-law, Dr. Noah Stoltzfus.

When Lillian's stepson is stricken with a life-threatening disease, Noah is forbidden to intervene, but he resolves to do whatever it takes to save the boy's life. Carley finds herself caught in the middle of her feelings for Noah and her loyalty to Lillian. And to further complicate matters, everyone around her is talking about God--a God she doesn’t know and who appears to be punishing her for her past mistakes.

When her hiatus is up, Carley must make a life-changing decision: stay and face the path that is set before her, or flee and leave the only love she’s ever known.


When She Flew by Jennie Shortridge

In this predictable but good-hearted novel, a father and his daughter—a damaged but loving Iraq War vet named Ray and a budding 12-year-old naturalist named Lindy—live happily off the grid in an Oregon forest until the day Lindy is spotted by a bird-watcher. Notified of a young girl wandering alone deep in the woods, the police assign dedicated officer Jessica Villareal to the case. Recently rejected by her own daughter and still smarting, Jessica sets out with the best of intentions for helping Lindy, but risks destroying the life Lindy and her father have built for themselves.



Try Darkness by James Scott Bell

L.A. trial lawyer Ty Buchanan’s fianceĆ© was killed, and Ty himself was brought up on murder charges. Now he’s trying to put that disastrous period in his life behind him. He’s living in a trailer on the grounds of a monastery, easing back into professional life, when a case involving a woman and her young daughter, who are being tossed out of their apartment by an unscrupulous building owner, draws him back into the dangerous world he thought he’d left behind. The case seems a simple enough matter, but soon after Ty makes it clear he will pursue his client’s rights, the woman is found dead, and now Ty must protect the little girl while trying to find out who’s behind her mother’s murder.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Musing Mondays2 Do you frequently read more than one book at a time? Do you try to limit this to a certain number? Do you have different books for different purposes/topics?

I am always reading more than one book at any given point of time. Those are of different genres. And one of those has to be poetry. This gives me some leverage as what interests me at any time. I have been known to read 6 books at any given time. But now I stick to three books.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I finished:

Try Darkness by James Scott Bell

I am in midst of reading:

Sworn to Silence by Linda Castillo

Tallgrass by Sandra Dallas


I plan to read:

When She Flew by Jennie Shortridge

I posted reviews of:

Life Support by Tess Gerritsen
The Murder Stone by Louise Penny
Sins of the Flesh by Caridad PiƱeiro
Zoya's Story: An Afghan Woman's Struggle for Freedom by John Follain and Rita Cristofari
Try Darkness by James Scott Bell

16 comments:

bermudaonion said...

Ooh, When She Flew and Try Darkness both look good!

pussreboots said...

I received two books this week. You can see what they are here

Serena said...

I hope you enjoy When She Flew!

Teddyree said...

I like the sound of When She Flew and I'm a total Tess Gerritsen fan so I'm off to check out your review.
Happy reading :-)

Alaine said...

I really like the sound of When She Flew, hope you enjoy it. Have a great reading week!

Kaye said...

I loved both the books you are reading now. Happy reading! My MM is here

Nise' said...

Really enjoyed the Ty Buchanan series.

You will enjoy Tall Grass, it was great.

Alayne said...

Nice mailbox, happy reading! Mine is at The Crowded Leaf.

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

I hope you enjoy your new books; they look great!

Jennifer said...

I have Try Darkness and The Plain Pursuit on my TBR Pile. I am off to read your reviews. Have a wonderful week reading. My Monday: http://www.rundpinne.com/2010/02/its-monday-what-are-you-reading-8.html

Sheila (Bookjourney) said...

Zoyas Story sounds interesting.You had a great week!

tweezle said...

You received a nice batch of books this week! I really enjoyed "Plain Pursuit". I can't wait to hear what you think about it.

If you'd like to see mine, my mailbox is at: http://tweezlereads.blogspot.com/2010/02/mailbox-monday_08.html

Lisa (Southern Girl Reads) said...

I recently read When She Flew and wanted to read Sworn To Silence but had to return it to the library before I got a chance to read it! Bummer! I hope you like them both.

Beth(bookaholicmom) said...

When She Flew sounds good. I liked Sworn to Silence. Enjoy all your books!

Booksnyc said...

I heard great things about When She Flew when it first came out - I read Eating Heaven by the same author and loved it! I look forward to hearing what you think of this one!

My Monday Mailbox is here

Lydia said...

When she Flew has such a beautiful cover! you can see what I read this week here http://thelostentwife.net/2010/02/14/its-monday-what-are-you-reading-8/