Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Wondrous Words Wednesday

wordyweds

Wondrous Word Wednesday is hosted by Kathy of BermudaOnion

Sharing a word from a poem:

Home at thirty by Ed Skoog

On the street at midnight, I hear
a hatbox latch fall open
in an attic closet, and then
the silence of Alexandria.

Even low clouds' dark stucco seems
applied by the drowsiest journeyman.

The fire hydrant stares
from its tricolor at a branch
fallen in the street.

A snail punches antennae up the chain,
a great excursion to the loose
bolt where a little water drips.

Stucco:

n., pl., -coes, or -cos.

  1. A durable finish for exterior walls, usually composed of cement, sand, and lime, and applied while wet.
  2. A fine plaster for interior wall ornamentation, such as moldings.
  3. A plaster or cement finish for interior walls.
  4. Stuccowork.
tr.v., -coed, -co·ing, -coes, or -cos.

To finish or decorate with stucco.

[Italian, of Germanic origin.]

9 comments:

Julie P. said...

I grew up in Texas and our houses were stucco!

SmilingSally said...

Boy, I sure know this word! My new house is being built in Florida, and I posted just today on my other blog about the stucco being completed.

Here's my link:

http://smilingsally.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

I knew what stucco was, but it adds a little bit when applied to clouds. Thanks for sharing the poem, too.

Jo-Jo said...

Associating clouds with stucco is different...but I guess I can see it.

Lisa notes... said...

I have never associated stucco with anything other than houses. Nice use.

Unknown said...

I lived in Florida for a while and stucco is quite common though I've never seen the word used in any other context.
Here are my words

bermudaonion said...

It's interesting to see stucco used in a poem like that. Our last house was part stucco, so I knew this one as well.

ibeeeg said...

I know the word stucco but I really like how it was used to described the clouds. It really brought a fabulous image to mind.

Margot said...

I love when you find new words in poetry.