Monday, October 19, 2009

Yes, My Darling Daughter by Margaret Leroy

"I died, Grace. I died in the water," she says. Her voice so calm and matter-of-fact. I feel the lurch of my heart.

~page 220, Yes, My Darling Daughter by Margaret Leroy


Title: Yes, My Darling Daughter
Author: Margaret Leroy
ISBN: 9780374126018
Publisher: Sarah Crichton Books/2009
Pages: 340

Set in London and Ireland, Yes, My Darling Daughter has all those elements, which can hold the reader's interest till the end. Grace, a single mother of four-year-old Sylvie, works in flower shop in London. Her daughter is not like any other child. She acts beyond her age and seems to know something which is the beyond the understanding of Grace.

When Sylvie starts to get mean with her playmates and also has frequent tantrums, along with sporadic panic attacks, Grace doesn't know how to deal with it. Sylvie has this unknown fear of water, anything that involves water scares her and she has nightmarish attacks. Sylvie also keeps drawing a small cottage and speaks of stuff, that she has not seen but somehow knows. And then one photograph triggers certain something and Sylvie continually keeps saying it is her home and she lived there. Somehow Sylvie seems to get farther away from Grace. The place turns out to be somewhere in Ireland.

Getting panicky and as a last resort, Grace gets in touch with Adam Winters, a University professor, who has done some studies on Paranormal behaviour of children and also about behaviour pertaining to past lives. After one sesseion with Sylvie, Adam suggest that they travel to Cold Harbour, Ireland and find out what Sylvie is trying to tell them. He has certain theories what must be the reason of Sylvie's behaviour. He warns Grace about violent memories but tells her there is nothing to worry about.

Arriving there, Sylvie recognises the places and also tries to find Lennie. Now who is Lennie? And for that matter who is Sylvie? And when they do find something, Sylvie simply clams up, going silent, withdrawing from Grace. Grace senses and knows that Sylvie is troubled and wants to help her. And Grace is scared too that somehow she might lose Sylvie to something she can't understand.

The past life and present have merged in this novel and the supporting characters somehow make it so plausible. The paranormal element doesn't seem out of context. A book that holds interest and satisfies that something which every reader wants and wishes for. A satisfying feel after reading it. At places Sylvie might feel unlovable but what else can expect from a girl, who had died violently in her past life. Grace, as a mother is supporting, loving and even when not understanding Sylvie's behaviour is always there for her.

21 comments:

Ceri said...

Wow, what a quote. Sounds like an interesting read, this one.

Anonymous said...

That is quite a teaser. This one does sound interesting, but I tend to shy away from reincarnation books. I'm not sure why.

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

Great teaser. I LOVED this book!

Staci said...

I'm glad that this one turned out to be a satisfying read for you!!

Margot said...

Good teaser and glad you enjoyed it.

Malcolm R. Campbell said...

Yep, that Teaser's going to get my attention. Thanks for the info about the book as well.

Malcolm

Missy B. said...

Heart-stopping teaser, that's for sure. This book sounds good!

jlshall said...

Great teaser and review! This one is going on my wish list right away.

Beth said...

The title of the book immediately brought to mind the nursery rhyme "Mother may I go out to swim?"
This sounds like a very interesting book, but I think I'm too much of a chicken to read it. Thanks for stopping by.

The Book Resort said...

Wow, Gautami, what an intriguing teaser!

Yvonne said...

This sounds so good.

JoAnn said...

This sounds so good...onto the list it goes!

Danielle said...

I was intrigued by the title you ledt on my blog, so I had to come read your teaser. I love gothic stories, so will have to check this out--especially with that setting!

Danielle said...

Sorry...hit the button twice and the comment posted twice...now I've got three..ACK. Feel free to delete the last two!

Cecelia said...

Kind of creepy - and perhaps a bit of a mystery! Great teaser. Thanks for coming by my blog earlier!

Bryan R. Terry said...

Well ... you certainly have my attention.

My Teaser is HERE

Sarah said...

I'm not a big fan of the supernatural, but that is a splendid teaser!

Tam @ Bailey's and Books said...

Good quote, definitely leaves me wanting to know more.

Tara SG (25 Hour Books) said...

Great teaser!!

TaraSG
www.25hourbooks.com

Mishel (P.S. I Love Books) said...

I loved the teaser! I'll have to check this book out =)

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a good book.