Sunday, October 4, 2009

Mondays: Musings/Mailbox/whereabouts

Musing Mondays (BIG)
Last week we talked about keeping a wishlist. Why not pull out that list and show us some of the books you’ve been eyeing off?


Here I mention a few author(s), whose books are on my wishlist (in no particular order)

(1) Gabriel Garcia Marquez
(2) Neil Gaiman
(3) Margaret Atwood
(4) Jose Saramago
(5) Toni Morrison
(6) Pablo Neruda
(7) John Steinbeck

I plan to read each and every book by those authors. This list is in no way exhaustive..

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Monday Mailbox is hosted by Marcia, In My Mailbox is hosted by The Story Siren and New Crayons is hosted by Color Online. Check all three which are related to books you receive in the past week.

I received 2 books:

1) Lonestar Secrets by Colleen Coble



Shannon Aster, a vet, comes back to West Texas. She had left it as a single mother five years back. Her uncle has left her the farm and she wants her daughter to have a better life. Despite the betrayals of the past she thinks that West Texas is home for her daughter Kylie.



2) After You by Julie Buxbaum

When Ellie's best friend Lucy is murdered in London, Ellie rushes there from Boston, to be with Lucy's eight-year-old daughter, Sophie. After greeting Ellie, Sophie stops speaking. Meanwhile, Lucy's husband has withdrawn into himself and the charge of taking take of Sophie falls on Ellie. Sophie had seen her mother mugged and killed while they were going to school. Ellie loves Sophie and will go to any length to get her back on track.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It's Monday! What Are You Reading This Week? is a weekly event hosted by J. Kaye of J. Kaye's Book Blog, "to list the books completed last week, the books currently being read, and the books to be finish this week."

I read the following:

Lonestar Secrets by Colleen Coble

After You by Julie Buxbaum

I am currently reading:

The Cleopatra's Daughter by Michelle Moran
City of Glass by Paul Auster

Plan to read:

More Tintins
And whatever takes my fancy!

Posted reviews of:

Lonestar Secrets by Colleen Coble
After You by Julie Buxbaum



34 comments:

Dawn said...

I would have to say that I have books by all of those authors on my list as well! I would really like to read "One Hundred Years of Solitude" by Marquez, as well as "The Blind Assassin." Hopefully you'll be able to read all of their books someday!

Thanks for stopping by!

Kathleen said...

I read all of John Steinbeck's novels for a college class. I was surprised at how much I enjoyed some of his more obscure works but of course I also enjoyed Grapes of Wrath, East of Eden, and his more well known novels. Good luck!

serendipity_viv said...

I want to read all of Neil Gaiman's books too. Great list.

Zia said...

I've read almost everything Neil Gaiman has written. Still have a couple to go. In the last year he's become one fave authors.

Literary Feline said...

Some of the authors on your wish list are on mine as well, especially Margaret Atwood. I have yet to read anything by her, but I do want to give her a try. I've read a couple of books by Neil Gaiman so far and hope to read more by him in the future. Toni Morrison is another one I hope to read more by in the future. I enjoyed the two books I've read by her. I didn't especially care for the one book I read by Marquez and so it will take a lot of convincing for me to try him again.

bermudaonion said...

Oooh, After You is supposed to be really good. Enjoy!

Robin Merrill said...

Oh my gosh, Love in the Time of Cholera is amazing (by Gabriel). So is Paradise (by Toni). I'm giving away a copy of Tricia Goyer's new novel on my blog if anyone is interested. http://robinmerrill.blogspot.com/2009/09/great-christmas-bowl.html

Unknown said...

just finished the pearl by john steinbeck. it stabbed me and the thoughts are still lingering...

Brooke from The Bluestocking Guide said...

I'm going to have to get to Cleopatra's Daughter. Here is mine

Staci said...

I won Cleopatra's Daughter can't wait to get it!! Have a fun week with your reading!

Mel u said...

I think I have read all the novels of Gabriel Marquez-I will read all the novels of Penelope Fitzgerald, Jeannete Witerspon, Marcus Zusak (only one to go), maybe Anita Brookner-I hope anyway I will-

christine (booktumbling) said...

I just finished Steinbeck's Of Mice and Men - lovely. You have some great authors on your wish list.
By the way, I have something for you:
http://booktumbling.com/2009/10/04/a-few-more-awards/

wendy elizabeth said...

toni Morrison is on my wish-list too. here are the other books I'm flirting with atm.

Unknown said...

I tried Marquez and Atwoood - never got very far... Of Steinbeck I read a couple and the others I don't know.

Here's my Mailbox Monday

Sassy Brit @ Alternative-Read.com said...

Hi! I have Gaiman on my wishlist and also reading Cleopatra's Daughter now - only just started it.

HERE'S MINE

Sassy
:)

Kristen said...

You've already finished both the books that came in your mailbox? I'm impressed. I'm never that on top of things. :-P

Yvonne said...

I haven't read any of those authors, but I've heard so many good things about Neil Gaiman, I should try one.

Tea said...

I bet "After You" tugs at your heart. I would like to read that one.

Jennifer said...

Steinbeck, Marquez, Atwood, and Morrison have never let me down with their respective writings. Have a great week reading. Cleopatra's Daughter is in my TBR pile.
Mine is here: http://rundpinne.blogspot.com/2009/10/what-are-you-reading-monday.html

Mary (Bookfan) said...

Lonestar Secrets and After You sound like good novels. I loved Cleopatra's Daughter. An entertaining read.

Wendi said...

I love the sound of Lonestar Secrets. :)

Here's my Mailbox! ~ Wendi

Beth(bookaholicmom) said...

After You sounds like a good read. Love Michelle Moran but haven't read the new book yet. Nefertiti and The Heretic Queen were both good.

Jenny Girl said...

To read the books of all those authors is an amazing goal. I'm sure you will achieve too. Here's my musing

Sheila (bookjourney) said...

After You sounds good. How are you enjoying Cleopatra's Daughter? It was a highlight for me last week.

kayerj said...

cleopatra's daughter is on my wish list--I've seen it on so many blogs. I can't wait to read your review. If you want to wander down my road I’m home.

Serena said...

Looks like you got a couple of good books.

Stephanie said...

I love the fact that you have the entire works of certain authors on your wish list. What a great idea!

Anonymous said...

Heard good things about Paul Auster's book!

Cackleberry Homestead said...

Lonestar Secrets and After You sound really good - I'll have to add them to my list.

Marie said...

I have Cleopatra's Daughter on my TBR pile -- I've heard good things about it!

Anonymous said...

I like John Steinbeck too :) And it looks like Cleopatra's Daughter is a good read. I'll try to look for that book. I will look up some of the authors you've listed.. time to expand my book list :)

Andrea said...

I read and really enjoyed After You...I hope you do too!

Holly (2 Kids and Tired) said...

I could not get into Neil Gaiman! I love how you've put all the Monday meme's into one post. Brilliant!

Petunia said...

Your wish list of authors looks similar to mine. A good variety of genres covered.