Sunday, October 18, 2009

Monday: Musing/Bonanza in the mailbox/Whereabouts

Musing Mondays (BIG)
Are you planning on participating in the upcoming 24 Hour Read-a-thon (either as a reader or cheerleader)? Have you made any preparations for the event? And, veterans out there, any tips you’d like to share with the newbies?

As usual, I am participating in the
Dewey's 24 Hour Read-a-thon as a reader. Although I am not an official cheerleader, I do try to visit fellow book blogs and cheer them up. As I live in India, I start my reading a bit early and finish likewise. I don't read for the entire 24 hours. I take breaks. I like tea and that keeps me fresh. I do manage to sleep for 6-7 hours and try updating my blog every 2-3 hours. I also take part in a few of those mini-challenges.

I think one ought to choose books wisely. Although heavy, difficult reads work for me initially, but at the end, I try to read light, easy books. Graphic novels ought to work well and so do breezy romances. I advise, don't go in for review books as one can't really do justice to those. Alternate your reading with something lighter. If children's books work for you, go for those. Or YA Fiction. Don't be under any kind of pressure. The ultimate goal is to enjoy the Read-a-thon.

I am as yet undecided what to pick for the
Dewey's 24 Hour Read-a-thon. I do know I will read a few Tintin Albums and one other graphic novel. And I will pick up at least two suspense/thriller/noir fiction. Also a poetry book. I can't do without poetry. Previously I had thought to stack up some romances but somehow couldn't get around doing that. Let's see what really works for me. It totally depends on my mood and the timing.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Monday Mailbox is hosted by Marcia, In My Mailbox is hosted by The Story Siren and New Crayons is hosted by Color Online. Check all three, which are related to books you receive in the past week.

It was a Diwali week and I got a lot of books (10) in the mail. Seemed so apt somehow:

(1) Shannon Cowan's Tin Angel,
(2) Linda DeMeulemeester's
The Secret of Grim Hill,
(3) Daren Krill's
The Uncle Duncle Chronicles: Escape From Treasure Island,
(4) The Hockey Card
by Jack Siemiatycki, Avi Slodovnick and illustrated by Doris Barrette, and
(5) When Pigs Fly by Valerie Couman and illustrated by Rogé.

The above 5 books I had won from the 2nd Canadian Challenge and were sent to me courtsey of Lobster Press. As all are children's books, my 12 year old nephew took away the lot!

(6) Cult Insanty by Irene Spencer...from the author
(7) Meggie's Remains by Joanne Sundell....from the author
(8) The Puzzle King by Betsy Carter...from the author
(9) The Brutal Telling by Louisa Penny..from Stacy Taylor
(10) Yes, My Darling Daughter by Margaret Leroy...from the author

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I read very less and reviewed nothing, except for one scheduled one. I had been very busy for Diwali as mentioned my Sunday Salon post.

I finished:

Yes, My Darling Daughter by Margaret Leroy
Cleopatra's Daughter Michelle Moran


However, I am in the midst of reading:

Cult Insanty by Irene Spencer

Taken from the author's website:

CULT INSANITY takes readers into her story to uncover the outrageous behavior of her brother-in-law Ervil - a self-proclaimed prophet who determined he was called to set the house of God in order - and how he terrorized their colony. Claiming to be God's avenger and to have a license to kill in the name of God, Ervil ordered the murders of friends and family members, eliminating all those who challenged his authority. CULT INSANITY is a riveting, terrifying memoir of polygamist life under the tyranny of a madman.

I plan to read:

Let's see what I read!

I posted review of:

Just Say Yes by Betina Krahn

31 comments:

caite said...

Not taking part in the Read-a-Thon myself...but good luck to ya!

BTW, I loved The Brutal Telling...an excellent book.

Sheila (bookjourney) said...

I am doing the readathon and not sure what I will be doing either. I like the idea of picking up many of my shorter TBR's and getting through some of them as the longer ones i tend to linger and bask a bit in the story. :)

bermudaonion said...

You had a great book week. I'm really looking forward to reading Cult Insanity since I enjoyed the author's first book.

Staci said...

I really like the way you view the read-a-thon. I'm going to choose light, fun, and fast reads too!!! Enjoy Brutal Telling!

Vasilly said...

I'm so glad you're participating in the read-a-thon. Thanks for bringing up poetry. Every event I try to read one poetry collection but I didn't pick anything for this upcoming event. Maybe I'll read Repair by C.K. Williams.

I can't wait to read what you think of Cult Insanity.Happy reading.

Anonymous said...

I'm mostly planning on catching up on my light, fluffy reading during the read-a-thon. This is my first one, and I'm not sure how it will go. I hope you enjoy it!

Yes, My Darling Daughter sounds very intriguing, and I need to pick up Louise Penny one of these days.

Harvee said...

Goshk don't think I could read for 24 hours, if that's how this works!

Serena said...

Looks like you got some great books. Happy Reading.

Kristen said...

I'm cheerleading this year as it's my first year. We'll see how it goes. :-)

What a nice lot of books you got in your mailbox.

Happy Diwali!

Yvonne said...

I'm not in the read-a-thon, but good luck with it!

Nice mailbox - enjoy your books!

Mel (He Followed Me Home) said...

Your mailbox was stuffed! What a lucky nephew :)

I'm reading Cleopatra's Daughter now and loving it!

Happy Dawali week :) I had Samosa on Friday, yummy!

Jennifer said...

I have Cleopatra's Daughter in my TBR Pile. Cult Insanity sounds interesting. I am participating in the 24 hour readathon and nervous as this is my first time.

Anonymous said...

Looks like you've had a busy week!

Nise' said...

I'll be sure to stop by and cheer you on early!!!

I have The Puzzle King too.

Blodeuedd said...

Some cool books in there :D

Have not yet decided on the read-a-thon, hm, perhaps

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

Wow! I also received "Cult Insanity," as a contest win.

My Mailbox Monday is here:

http://laurelrainsnowcreations.blogspot.com

And I posted a What are you reading? at http://laurel-rain-snow.blogspot.com

DCMetroreader said...

I've never done a read-a-thon, but it sounds like fun. Good Luck & Happy Reading!

It looks like you have a lot of great books! I am looking forward to reading Cult Insanity also as I have heard so many positive reviews of it.

Zia said...

Looks like some cute books you received. I have Cult Insanity on my TBR shelf. Have a great reading week!

kayerj said...

good luck on the read-a-thon!

If you want to wander down my road I’m home.

Wendi said...

I just love that cover of Secret of Grim Hill!

I really want to participate in the Read-A-Thon, but have so many committments that weekend. . . wish I could fit it in.

Here's my Mailbox! ~ Wendi

Beth(bookaholicmom) said...

I am participating in the read-a-thon for the first time. I notice many suggesting to try to read short, fun books.

I liked The Brutal Telling. It was my first Louise Penny novel. Happy reading!

Teddyree said...

Good luck in the read-a-thon, still havent made my mind up but I'll pop in and visit even if I'm not participating. I loved Cleopatra's Daughter, hope you did too. Fab mailbox btw ~ have a great reading week :-)

Marie said...

I'm looking forward to Cleopatra's Daughter. I've been seeing a lot about Cult Insanity -- not sure if I should take a shot at it or not -- I've been having a hard time finishing books unless they are pretty "light" lately :-)

Anonymous said...

Wow, what a great batch of books!

This will be my first read-a-thon. I don't have my list pulled together yet. I'm glad you talk about taking breaks and getting some sleep in.

Cackleberry Homestead said...

Great week. I'm doing the read-a-thon too and can't wait. I second your idea of reading lighter books. I will probably intersperse some other books in, but I plan on catching up on some of my YA reading and finishing some library books.

I really want to read Cult Insanity - I have to find it soon.

Anonymous said...

With the read-a-thon, bet you will have a nice list for next Monday!

Booklogged said...

Have you read the others in Louise Penny's series? It's one of my favorite series - there's at least 5 other favorites, but I really do like them.

BurtonReview said...

Looking forward to The Brutal Telling as well.
I am not sure about the REad-A-Thon, it is something I would love to participate in but with the kids and family and illness etc I just don't think I can commit to anything. I will certainly read at night time though =)
Good Luck to you and I hope you enjoy it!

CeeCee said...

You offered some really good tips for the read-a-thon. I'll take your advice on reading shorter novels.

The Book Resort said...

Yes, enjoy the read~a~thon!

Have f~u~n!!!

Here's mine:

http://thebookresort.blogspot.com/2009/10/musing-mondays-day-late.html

Anna said...

The Puzzle King sounds really good. Enjoy your new books!

I don't stay up the full 24 hours either. Last time, I think I slept for 6 hours, and I'll probably do the same this time because I have things to do on Sunday and need to be awake!

--Anna
Diary of an Eccentric