Sunday, August 23, 2009

Mondays: Whats up?

Monday Mailbox is hosted by Marcia, In My Mailbox is hosted by The Story Siren and New Crayons is hosted by Color Online. Check all three which are related to books you receive in the past week.

I received 3 books:

Last Last Chance by Fiona Maazel (from the author)

Theft of the Master by Edwin Alexander (Won from Caribousmom in the Mystery Readathon Giveaway)

A Note from an Old Acquaintance by Bill Walker (from the author via Pump Up Your Book Promotion)

Update: I was unable to access Marcia's blog for a few weeks but today I could. Thanks Kathy, for posting it for me last monday!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


It's Monday! What Are You Reading This Week? is a weekly event hosted by J. Kaye of J. Kaye's Book Blog, "to list the books completed last week, the books currently being read, and the books to be finish this week."

I finished the following:

1). Faces In The Fire by T. L. Hines

2). T'Aragam by Jack W Regan

I am in the midst of reading:

Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoyevesky (taking a long time!)

Ghostwriter by Travis Thrasher

Reviewed:

The Reincarnationist by M J Rose

A Worthy Legacy by Tomi Akinyanmi

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Musing Mondays (BIG)
Do you prefer to read stand-alone books, or books in series? Do you stick with a series the whole way through or stop after the first instalment? Are there any particular series you enjoy?

I won't say I prefer either. It depends. Sometimes one can read a book from a series as a stand-alone. I am not exactly hooked to any series. I can begin from any and go either way. In fact, I read the Harry Potter that way starting from 4, going 3, 2, 1 and 5, 6 and 7! And that series out to be read in a serial. I must say, it didn't make much of a difference on my reading. Maybe, it is just me. Reading good books, good writing is all it matters to me. However, one series I wish to read is the Discworld. Maybe I will, maybe I won't.



25 comments:

bermudaonion said...

I bet Crime and Punishment is taking a long time! I'll try to remember to post your link again tomorrow.

Melody said...

I can't choose either! I love both; and as long as the story is good, who cares if they are standalone or series eh? ;)

Staci said...

I'm a fan of both. There are a ton of series that I just love and I always enjoy a good stand-alone.

Anonymous said...

I have an award for you HERE

Anonymous said...

I just take turns, especially if the next of the series is not yet available. I'm happy when I get to read. :)

bermudaonion said...

I linked your post on Marcia's blog.

DCMetroreader said...

Looks like a lot of great reading!

Here is my list if you'd like to check it out
http://metroreader.blogspot.com/2009/08/mailbox-monday-august-24th.html

Carl V. Anderson said...

It is Monday indeed. And so we begin again.

I am currently reading an ARC from author Alex Bledsoe called Burn Me Deadly. It is the sequel to his book, The Sword-Edged Blonde, which I read last year and really enjoyed.

By and large I prefer to read stand alone novels. That being said some of my most pleasurable reads have been series.

Serena said...

Wow, looks like you got some great books this week. Happy reading.

I enjoyed crime and punishment much more than the Brothers Karamazov...and I didn't even finish Brothers...its huge and dull.

Elena said...

It's true, great books are simply great books, whether in a series or stand-alone.

Maybe I should be less fussy...
:P

Margot at Joyfully Retired said...

I like the mysteries you have on your list.

Cackleberry Homestead said...

Great week for you - enjoy your reading.

Susan said...

I just like books, books and MORE BOOKS! I don't care if they're part of a series or not. However, if it is a series of books, I MUST read them in order - it drives me NUTS otherwise, and nobody needs to see that :)

Here's my full response.

Brooke from The Bluestocking Guide said...

I loved Ghostwriter!!! Here is mine

Jennifer said...

I loved Crime and Punishment! Enjoy! Happy reading. :)

Blodeuedd said...

Glad you can post again :)
Some interesting books you got there, they are all new to me authors

Anonymous said...

What did you think of "Faces In The Fire" by T. L. Hines? That's an author I have been wanting to try!

kayerj said...

Fun answer, I absolutely have to read them in order. my musings

Shonda said...

Wow! I have to read a series in order. Sometimes I have read a series out of order and will go back to read the previous novels before continuing with the rest of the series.

Unknown said...

Crime and Punishment is one of my favorite books! (I was an english major in college!) It is a slow read but it makes it better, in my opinion! I hope you like it.

Amy =o)

Staci said...

Looks like you've got some great reading done and ahead of you!! I love series and stand alones.

Kelly said...

Interesting books, I can't wait to read your reviews. Happy reading!

Anonymous said...

You've got some great books there.

I like both, but sometimes series make you feel like you're catching up with old friends.

Matt said...

HP has too many tiny details that I couldn't keep up. The movies are much easier. :)

Anna said...

I give you credit for trying Crime and Punishment. I tried reading his The Brothers Karamozov and couldn't get past page 60. I was bored to tears!

--Anna
Diary of an Eccentric