Sunday, August 23, 2009

TSS: A Worthy Legacy by Tomi Akinyanmi

Title: A Worthy Legacy
Authour: Tomi Akinyanmi
ISBN: 9780615211169
Publisher: Tommie Books/2009
Pages: 101

Book Blurb

The Harmattan wind scorches across Nigeria, and an old man lies dying. His community gathers to pay its respects; their haunting songs echoing in the warm twilight. Around his bed his family is gathered and they listen as he speaks his last words. Yet in the face of death this old man doesn't talk of regrets, neither does he talk of petty grievances, instead he talks softly about life; how to survive, how to be happy and how to achieve self-respect.

~~~~~~~~~~~

The words of the dying old man makes an impact on his grand daughter even after he is gone. When she comes back after one year, she finds a Journal that her grandfather had written for her. By this time the family has drifted apart, with petty quarrels, yet the grand daughter returns to the village. Maybe to look out for her legacy and finds it in that journal.

A Worthy Legacy is not at all preachy or is a self-help book in any way. It speaks about simple acts, and how to find happiness in those acts. With insights in the form of poetry, we find spirituality in there, which tells us about simple pleasures, acceptance of ones self. This books isn't preachy and that is what made it a good read. Much to think about and follow too, if we want to. For myself, I really loved the poetry in it. Not surprising as I write it myself!


9 comments:

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

I am always looking for that sense of redemption in books. I know your header includes the Kafka quote, but I think I go in a different direction. I've read enough that I see how miserable the world can be; I want to see how to find happiness.

Pam said...

I love the idea of this book. I've had my eye on it and need to read it.

Anonymous said...

I have this one on my shelf. Thanks for the review!

bermudaonion said...

It seems that everyone who has read this book has found it uplifting. Great review!

rhapsodyinbooks said...

This sounds like a lovely book!

ds said...

Sounds very interesting. Thanks for your review!

Unknown said...

I won a copy of this book. I haven't read it yet but I'm dying too. Everything about it is so beautiful! I loved your review! It's fantastic that you write poetry! I am in awe. I love words but writing it is very difficult!

Linda Nguyen said...

I'm in the middle of Ghostwriter as well. I was reading it a while ago, but for some reason, I didn't pick it back up to read. I will soon. =)

Happy reading! =)

Luanne said...

This was a beautiful, thought inspiring read for me as well....