Monday, August 17, 2009

Mondays: Mailbox/whereabouts

Musing Mondays (BIG)
How do you react to movies made of your favourite books (or even not-so-favourite books)? Do you look forward to seeing them, or avoid them? Do you like to have read the book before seeing the movie?

I mostly avoid movies made of novels. Somehow those take away the pleasure of reading from me. I have been disappointed after watching the movies made of books. I prefer reading books to watching a movie based on the book.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Note: I am unable to access Marcia's blog for a few weeks now. But I still do post for the mailbox. Would someone be kind enough to post my link there? Thanks!

Monday Mailbox is hosted by Marcia, In My Mailbox is hosted by The Story Siren and New Crayons is hosted by Color Online. Check all three which are related to books you receive in the past week.

I received 3 books:

Magdalene and the Mermaids by Elizabeth Kate Switaj (poetry) (from the author)

T'Aragam by Jack W Regan (from the authr)

The Essential Keats: Selected by Philip Levine (From Stacy)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It's Monday! What Are You Reading This Week? is a weekly event hosted by J. Kaye of J. Kaye's Book Blog, "to list the books completed last week, the books currently being read, and the books to be finish this week."

I finished the following:

1). Prince Rupert's Teardrops

2). A La Carte by Tanita S Davis

3). The Reincarnationist by M J Rose

4). Dragon Rider by Cornelia Funke

5) A Worthy Legacy by Toni Akinyanmi

I am in the midst of reading:

Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoyevesky

The Mercy Seller by Brenda Rickman Vantrease

Reviewed:

Kill For Me by Karen Rose

Prince Rupert's Teardrops by Lisa Glass

Best Intentions by Emily Listfield

A La Carte by Tanita S Davis

20 comments:

bermudaonion said...

I'll be looking for your review of T'Aragam.

Nikola said...

Ooh, Crime and Punishment!! How is it going? I loved it back in High School!!!

Yvonne said...

Enjoy your books!

I, too, prefer the books to the movies. There is so much more story in a book then in a movie.

bermudaonion said...

I added a link to your post on Marcia's blog.

Serena said...

Oo more poetry. Can't wait to see what you think of it.

http://www.savvyverseandwit.com/2009/08/mailbox-monday-43.html

Keats is great.

DCMetroreader said...

I haven't read any poetry in ages--would love to read some good ones. I will look forward for your review.

Kelly said...

I'm looking forward to reading your review of The Reincarnationist. Enjoy your books!

Susan said...

I can usually enjoy a book and its movie seperately. I like comparing the two and thinking about what I would have done differently had I been the all-powerful movie maker :)

Here's my musing...

Kristen said...

I was debating whether to read your review of The Reincarnationist yet given that I just received it in the mail when I noticed that they are two different books. Guess it's safe to read your review!

Anonymous said...

I agree. I have yet to watch a movie that was better than the book. Thanks for the visit! :)

Staci said...

Got some great reads going on there!!!!

Color Online said...

The poetry sounds really interesting. I'm not a Keats fan, but I am a Levine fan. I'd be interested in seeing what he chose.

Brooke from The Bluestocking Guide said...

Very very interesting. Here is mine

tolmsted said...

You really have an impressive list of books there - I don't know how you fit so much in to one week... I enjoyed your review of A La Carte.

Anonymous said...

Steve just started on Emily Listfield's book!

Teddyree said...

Wow you had another great reading week :-) I enjoyed A Worthy Legacy a few months ago.
Here's my Monday post

Melanie said...

Crime and Punishment is on my list for this year...really need to get on that!

Anonymous said...

I always have trouble with Marcia's blog, too. My computer at work can never load it, but my one at home has no problems. I thought it was just me.

Ceri said...

I used to avoid films made of my favourite books but lately I've taken a more laid-back approach to it (thanks to what the author John Green talks about actually) and look at them as two seperate things. :-) Two versions of the same story told by different people.

Anna said...

I love Keats! Happy reading.

--Anna
Diary of an Eccentric