Thursday, May 22, 2008

Booking through Movies



Books and films both tell stories, but what we want from a book can be different from what we want from a movie. Is this true for you? If so, what’s the difference between a book and a movie?

How can one even think of comparing books and movies? Both are entirely different mediums. I am not much of a movie person. I seldom even watch a movie. I prefer reading anyday. When a book is made into movie, no doubt it gets better publicity, lot more people watch it then reading the book. However, I find most of the movies that have been adapted from a book, leave me wanting more. In a book, everything is happening inside your mind. You form certain opinions about certain characters. I would rather escape the world reading a book than watching a movie. Most of the times, I get distracted from a movie but not while reading a book.

A case in point is, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azbakan or any other one, for that matter. I do not know what the director was thinking when he made the movie. The books are much better to read. In the movies, the scenes have been reduced due to time constraints, mainly. Frankly, I preferred the books. Then, I had loved reading The Bourne Identity by Robert Ludlum than watching the movie.

However, If I have not read a book and watched the movie, I might have liked it. I am not sayin movies are a bad thing. A few times, the movies might have been better. But give me a book any day. Leave the movies for the masses, who do not read. If the movie follows the book as closely as possible, I might go for it. It seldom does.

0 comments: