Thursday, November 22, 2007

Booking through connecting words

Joanna and Brad are asking about “connecting words,” and they don’t mean conjunctions like “and” or “but.” No, what they’re looking for are unique, or treasured words that we’ve found out and about in our daily travels, words that might not be common usage, or often heard, but which struck a chord for some reason.

Now this is not as easy it seems. Not even for someone who reads like mad and speaks so fast. For a while, I couldn't figure how to respond. Then it struck me! I use 'go figure' a lot.

I also say
'what are you ambling for?' if someone is in a hurry.

Recalling only a few:

good riddance-
when someone leaves the way he arrives, nonchalent.
shoot-
speak up!
are you going to turn into a pumpkin?-
If any one gives excuses for going home early in the midst of work.
acting like cinderella-
if someone acts poor. A few do!
typical-
That needs no explanation!
tap away-
Type away to glory!
don't snake up like that-
if someone comes too close for my comfort. I am a space kind of person!
all dolled up?-
When someone is dressed to the hilt and nowhere to go.
scoot!-
Now leave the way you arrived!
junked-
when something has to be thrown out. Useless stuff.
conked out, are we?-
If someone pleads tiredness despite not doing a thing.

One of my friends uses 'actually' before every sentence she speaks.

My dad used to ask for 'rice pusher' meaning something spicy like a chutney to help him eat the plate of plain rice and curry. He is gone but rice pusher remains..

I don't know if these fit. They are not rare ones if that was the idea. However, these are the best I could do as of now!

0 comments: