Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Tuesday Intro: The Truth Will Out by Jane Isaac

Every Tuesday Diane from Bibliophile By the Sea hosts First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros, where participants share the first paragraph (or a few) of a book they are reading or thinking about reading soon.

Eva Carradine’s foot tapped a staccato rhythm as she sat back in her chair and waited for her computer to connect. Green velvet curtains shrouded the window beside her. An umbrella lamp and gas fire combined with the light of her laptop to produce a soft hue in the room, just enough for her to view the buttons on her keyboard.

Naomi’s face appeared on the screen in front of her. No pleasantries were exchanged. No gestures made. “I can’t do this anymore.”

Eva’s stomach fisted. She stared at her friend’s crumpled face. “Naomi, don’t… We said we wouldn’t talk about this. We promised.” 

Title: The Truth Will Out
Author: Jane Isaac
ISBN: 9781909878556
Publisher:  Legend Press Ltd/2014
Pages: 256

Eva witnesses Naomi being attacked via skype and knows that it is her turn next. She calls the ambulance and without letting them know about identity, she runs away to safety. Eva is not aware that Naomi has been murdered. Enter DCI Helen Lavery. For her it is a difficult case to solve. There are no leads and the only witness has disappeared.

DCI Helen Lavery knows that they have to find the person, who called the ambulance, to get a breakthrough. Drug smuggling, murder and a psychopath, these make it a very engrossing novel. Helen has her own set of problems, what with two teenaged boys and a relationship on and off. Yet she comes out to be strong character, knows what she is doing professionally. 

Set between the Midlands and the Scottish Highlands, The Truth Will Out is a wonderful psychological crime thriller. The combination of plot and characters are very good. A very engrossing police procedural, where blood, gore and violence is not so apparent. However, the drug thing cannot be ignored.

16 comments:

Nise' said...

I like it! Sounds right up my reading alley.

Catherine @ Book Club Librarian said...

I haven't heard of this one--it sounds good!

My Tuesday post: http://www.bookclublibrarian.com/2014/05/first-chapter-first-paragraph-61.html

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

WOW, sounds good -- wondering whether she is planning to commit suicide and why?

Thanks for joining in this week.

JoAnn said...

That sounds like a really gripping book!!

Juli Rahel said...

Sounds exciting, but I'm trying to wrap my mind around someone seeing their friend get attacked and running away. I don't get it! Thanks for sharing :) I hope you enjoy!
My Intro
Juli @ Universe in Words

Unknown said...

I enjoyed the intro. This sounds like a great thriller. I hope you enjoy it.

grammajudyb said...

I think this is one I would like. I'll look forward to your review.

Harvee said...

I'd have to be in the mood for a hard core crime novel, but I'd read on.
Harvee
Book Dilettante

kayerj said...

I'm hooked. kelley—the road goes ever ever on

Tea said...

I really like the title of the book.

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

Oh, definitely my kind of read! Thanks for sharing...and for visiting my blog.

Yvonne said...

This sounds like something I'd like to read.

Cleopatra Loves Books said...

I'm really loving the sound of this one! Great intro of what sounds like a book to scare yourself with... I want a copy!
My Tuesday post: http://cleopatralovesbooks.wordpress.com/2014/05/20/teaser-tuesday-may-20/

Literary Feline said...

This sounds really good, Gautami. I think I would like this one.

fredamans said...

Between your review and the beginning, I'm intrigued.

Paulita said...

The writing sounds good. Hope you like it. Here's Mine