Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Sufficient Ransom by Sylvia Sarno

Every Tuesday Diane from Bibliophile By the Sea hosts First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros, where participants share the first paragraph (or a few) of a book they are reading or thinking about reading soon.

Ann Olson and her six-year old son were alone in the house. It was already dark. 
“Mom, can you read the story again? Please. I have to make sure that the bird finds his mother.” 
Ann scooped up the book and placed it on the shelf next to Travis’s bed. Tucking the blue 
striped quilt around her only child, she said, “I’ve read it three times. It’s time to go to sleep, sweetie.” She kissed her son’s freckled nose and stood up. “I’ll see you in the morning.” 
“Mom?” 
She knelt and caressed his soft brown hair. “What, honey?” 
He pulled the blanket to his neck. “I’m scared of the dark.” 



Title: Sufficient Ransom
Author: Sylvia Sarno 
ISBN: 9781484884591
Publisher: Savvy Scribe Press/2014
Pages: 326

6-year old Travis goes missing one day while playing in the backyard. Ann Olson is frantic. At first the police suspect her and her husband for his disappearance. 

Just before Travis went missing, a welfare officer, Kika Garcia, had wanted to take the boy away, citing Ann as a bad mother. When Kika is traced, she too is worried about Travis. Without any clue, Ann turns to religion but her husband, Richard is none too happy.

Ann can go to any length to get back Travis. She does not heed the police or her husband and we see her traversing to seedy Mexico to find him. She gets embroiled in it all. Drug dealers, murderers and preachers. All these seem to be somehow connected. When the truth comes out, everyone is devastated.

This novel keeps us on edge. The writing is easy and flowing. The plot is good. The characters are well etched. It is scary yet evil can never get away. A good thriller. 

15 comments:

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

I feel an abduction looming --based on that intro ---hope not. Thanks for joining us this week and enjoy your book.

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

I have read several abduction books lately, but I'm always interested in them anyway. I would keep reading. Thanks for sharing...and for visiting my blog.

Trish said...

oh I haven't read anything like this. sounds interesting!

trish - my teaser

Catherine @ Book Club Librarian said...

Sounds very intense. I'd have to be in the right mood to read this novel.

My Tuesday intro: http://www.bookclublibrarian.com/2014/05/first-chapter-first-paragraph-62.html

JoAnn said...

Can't deal with abduction novels... I'm a wimp.

kayerj said...

I love the beginning, but the title indicates that this book will be an emotional ride. I'd read it. Thanks so much for stopping by today.

LuAnn @ BackPorchervations said...

I was so glad to see your name on the linky for Tuesday Intro's, Gautami!

This book is now the newest entry on my TBR list. This sounds like a story that could get me all riled up (and I love that)!

Nise' said...

Good intro, I want to keep reading.

Unknown said...

Love the intro and also the story idea - I would def read this.

Cleopatra Loves Books said...

The intro is far more appealing than the synopsis. Abduction stories often have me on the edge of my seat; every parents worst nightmare!

thanks for visiting my TT http://cleopatralovesbooks.wordpress.com/2014/05/27/tuesday-teaser-may-27/

Yvonne said...

This sounds like a book I would get into. I'm going to add it to my wishlist.

Sarah (Sarah's Book Shelves) said...

I'm sure this would make a great page turner. But, I have to be honest, the premise of a child's kidnapping is too terrifying for me as a mother of young children and I don't think I'd want to read this. My book this week is also about a kidnapping, but it's an adult and that is somehow more OK for me to read about.

Here's Mine: http://www.sarahsbookshelves.com/fiction/first-chapter-first-paragraph-tuesday-intros-chasing-sun-natalia-sylvester/

Literary Feline said...

My daughter has the book the boy has his mother read to him in her own library and we read it all the time. :-)

I would definitely keep reading based on the intro. I do hope the little boy will be okay.

fredamans said...

What a heart-wrenching moment as a mom. Sounds like an epic read.

Kym said...

sounds pretty intense - one not to read before trying to go to sleep!