Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Dead Set by Will Carver

When a perfectly coiffed reporter perches himself inside a cell and throws a question across a flimsy wooden table, believing he already knows the entertainment value of the answer, that's not me he's trying to bait. If it were, his adrenalin would lose its battle with fear.

Title: Dead Set
Author: Will Carver
ISBN: 9780099551058
Publisher: Arrow Books/2013
Pages: 453

Book Blurb: 

Detective Inspector January David doesn’t love me.
He loves his missing sister. He loves his job.
But he doesn’t love me. Not in the way he should.
I am his wife. I am still his wife.
And I will do anything for him.
No matter what I have to sacrifice.
My Views: 

The three important characters in the book are Eames, Detective January David and David’s wife, who has gone missing. However, the secondary characters are no less important. They make the book flow with a gripping narrative.  The characters seem to feed off one another and before we even know, the book is over. 

The novel keeps us guessing right from the beginning to the  end. A complex novel with plots and sub plots, going off tangentially at some points, has been written so skilfully. It is very difficult to guess what is going to happen next and who is going to die next.

It was mostly set in and around New York, which made the place come alive for the reader. The ending is sensational and keeps us wanting more and more. It is the third January David novel. I am going to read all the Will Carver novels...

13 comments:

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

I'd read some more...I liked the brief intro. enjpy

Kim@Time2Read said...

Interesting info! I'd have to read more, but it's off to a good start!
Here's my post!
http://mytime2read.blogspot.com/2014/05/tuesday-memes-all-girl-filling-stations.html

Lindsay said...

Interesting opening, I think I'd want to read more, hope you enjoy it!

Juli Rahel said...

This sounds like the main character is quite scary, actually. I would read on though because it's exciting! Thanks for sharing :) I hope you enjoy the rest of the book!
My Tuesday posts
Juli @ Universe in Words

grammajudyb said...

I'd read more. I have a friend who loves scary interesting mysteries. I'm going to recommend it to her too.

Tea said...

Have to say I like the blurb more than the First Sentence...? Had to read The lines twice. May be I've read too many memes today.Lol.

Literary Feline said...

I'm intrigued by your review, Gautami, and the intro definitely has just enough of a hook to want me to dive right in.

Yvonne said...

Interesting opening. I'd read more.

Maya Love said...

It got my attention. I would read on. Thanks for stopping by.

Paulita said...

Sounds like you're really enjoying this one. Here's Mine

Unknown said...

Yes that does sound very interesting, thanks for introducing this novel . My post is here

kayerj said...

I'd keep reading, the book sounds like it gets going right at the start. Thanks for stopping by today. kelley—the road goes ever ever on

Cleopatra Loves Books said...

I'd keep reading this one for definite. Thanks for sharing because I love books where the secondary characters have a part to play.

http://cleopatralovesbooks.wordpress.com