Monday, October 14, 2013

Monday: Mailbox/What Am I reading?/Musing

Mailbox Monday is a gathering place for readers to share the books that came into their house last week and explore great book blogs. Mailbox Monday can lead to envy, toppling TBR piles and humongous wish lists. October host  is Gina @ Book Dragon's Lair.

I received the following two novels from hachette India. I had received the Book 2: Kaurava of The Aryavarta Chronicles and requested for the book 1, which was sent to me in within two days.

1) The Aryavarta Chronicles Book 1: Govinda by Krishna Udayasankar


HONOUR. DESIRE. VENGEANCE.

Aryavarta – the ancient realm of the noble.

For generations, the Firstborn dynasty of scholar-sages, descendants of Vasishta Varuni and protectors of the Divine Order on earth, has dominated here. For just as long, the Angirasa family of Firewrights, weapon-makers to the kings and master inventors, has defied them. In the aftermath of the centuries-long conflict between the two orders, the once-united empire of Aryavarta lies splintered, a shadow of its former glorious self.

Now, the last Secret Keeper of the Firewrights is dead, killed by a violent hand, and the battle for supreme power in the empire is about to begin.

As mighty powers hurtle towards a bloody conflict, Govinda Shauri, cowherd-turned-prince and now Commander of the armies of Dwaraka, must use all his cunning to counter deception and treachery if he is to protect his people and those whom he loves.

But who holds the key to the fantastic and startling knowledge of the Firewrights, which in the wrong hands will bring doom upon the empire? And does Govinda have it in him to confront the dark secrets of his past and discover the true meaning of being Arya, of being noble?

2) End of Story? by Arjun Shekhar

Is someone out there tinkering with our minds? Shukrat Ali, a news anchor at Khulasa, the

‘tabloid’ current affairs channel, is out of a job.TV channels across the country have closed down as a consequence of a Supreme Court ban on electronic advertising. An inquiry is on regarding the emergence of a sinister new form of ads the media has dubbed ‘propagandads’, which uses compelling subliminal messages to subtly rewire people’s minds and influence their actions.Even as Shukrat grapples with the question: ‘How does an anchor move on?’ he is summoned to testify in the trial concerning the killing of his ex-boss, Satya Saachi Sengupta, the mysterious and towering figure in his life, whose connections with this insidious mind manipulation scheme can no longer be denied.Being a key witness present at the scene of the crime, Shukrat must prepare to bare all before the court and tread carefully lest his testimony boomerangs on him.Gripping and darkly humorous, End of Story? is an intriguing and intelligent thriller about the dystopian possibilities of everyday advertising.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hosted by Sheila @ One Person's Journey Through a World of BooksWe discuss the books that we've read and what we're planning to read for the week.

I am in the midst of reading:


The Ares Decision by Robert Ludlum and Kyle Mills

The Aryavarta Chronicles Book 1: Govinda by Krishna Udayasankar

Gifts Not Yet Given by Kergan Edwards-Stout 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Musing Mondays asks you to muse about one of the following each week…
• Describe one of your reading habits.
• Tell us what book(s) you recently bought for yourself or someone else, and why you chose that/those book(s).
• What book are you currently desperate to get your hands on? Tell us about it! 
• Tell us what you’re reading right now — what you think of it, so far; why you chose it; what you are (or, aren’t) enjoying it.
• Do you have a bookish rant? Something about books or reading (or the industry) that gets your ire up? Share it with us!
• Instead of the above questions, maybe you just want to ramble on about something else pertaining to books — let’s hear it, then!
I am NOT musing about anything from the above. I will talk about one of my least known DIY thingy! I am fond of pouches. I used to buy all kinds of the same. But now I am making those out scraps. You can see four of those in my Saturday Snapshot post. But I made another one and posting pictures of the same here: 



21 comments:

bermudaonion said...

Enjoy your new reads!

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

You are ready for the week, I think! Enjoy.

Here's my It's Monday!

Anna said...

Love the pouch! I love little bags like that for small knitting projects and gadgets. Enjoy your new books!

Elizabeth said...

THANKS for stopping by my Mailbox Monday.

Love the bag.

ENJOY your books.

Elizabeth
Silver's Reviews
My Mailbox Monday

Unknown said...

I love pouches too! Very cute. It looks like you have a few exciting books. I hope you enjoy them.

Laura at Library of Clean Reads said...

I like the colours of your pouch. Didn't know there was a Hachette India division. Enjoy your books.

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

Enjoy your new reads!! Thanks for visiting my blog.

Yvonne @ Fiction Books Reviews said...

Hi Gautami,

I have to admit that I have never read anything from India, although I have recently read a few books from around the world, mostly as the result of author and publisher review requests ... maybe India should be my next target country!

I love the cover of your first book, it looks very rich culturally speaking and really gives the book a sense of presence.

Your patchwork purses are also lovely. This style of craftwork with the 'retro' look, is very much in vogue in the UK marketplace.

Have a great week,

Yvonne

Greg said...

The Ares Decision sounds like a good thriller.

Charnell @ Reviews from a Bookworm said...

I love the pouches, I am no good when it comes to any of that. When I was still at school they made us make a pillow in Textiles and mine came out awful! Enjoy your books. My MM

Sonia Lal said...

The first one sounds really good. I haven't read a lot of Indian fantasy.

Sonia Lal

Elysium said...

Hope you enjoy your new books!

JC Jones said...

I love your porches. Here is my
MM

Vicki said...

End Of Story? sounds really good!!

Love your pouches, my daughter makes and sells them.

Nise' said...

Cute pouch, lovely fabric. Enjoy your books.

Sonia Lal said...

Okay so the names are highly suggestive, but I don't recall anything firewrights and secret keeper from the Mahabharata. Though I was a small child the last time I watched the cartoons. How did the appear in it?

Daystarz Books said...

nice pouch. heres my musing: http://daystarz.wordpress.com/2013/10/14/musing-mondays-11/

Beth(bookaholicmom) said...

I love your pouches! Pouches come in handy for all types of things! I hope you have a great reading week!

Leslie (Under My Apple Tree) said...

New titles for me. Enjoy your books!

Jo @ Booklover Book Reviews said...

First time I have seen End of Story? Very intriguing premise... Enjoy!

Tea said...

The overthrow of an empire really sounds interesting.