Sunday, February 28, 2010

Something Borrowed by Emily Giffin

Title: Something Borrowed
Author: Emily Giffin
ISBN: 9780312321192
Publisher: St. Martin's Griffin/2004
Pages: 322

Back Cover

Something Borrowed
tells the story of Rachel, a young attorney living and working in Manhattan. Rachel has always been the consummate good girl---until her thirtieth birthday, when her best friend, Darcy, throws her a party. That night, after too many drinks, Rachel ends up in bed with Darcy's fiancé.

Although she wakes up determined to put the one-night fling behind her, Rachel is horrified to discover that she has genuine feelings for the one guy she should run from. As the September wedding date nears, Rachel knows she has to make a choice. In doing so, she discovers that the lines between right and wrong can be blurry, endings aren't always neat, and sometimes you have to risk all to win true happiness.

My Views

I seldom read chick lit. One of my two best friends gave this book to me and said it was good. I am no advocate of one night flings or cheating. I had mixed feelings when I started this book.

Rachel and Dexter had known ech other much before Darcy and Dexter were engaged. It was Rachel who introduced both. Rachel and Darcy have known each for twenty years. Rachel rightly feels guilty but also knows that Dex is the guy for her. Looking back, she can see through how manipulative Darcy has always been. Yet she loves Darcy. Dexter doesn't feel guilty but he doesn't wish to hurt Darcy either. But a time comes when choices have to be made. The totally unexpected ending resolves the issue for all concerned.

I won't say I loved the book. But once I began it, I had to read it till the end. Rachel is a whiner, Darcy is manipulative and Dex seems to be spineless. I liked two other friends of Rachel, Hillary and Ethan, who have always known Darcy for what she is.

5 comments:

bermudaonion said...

Sounds like a cute book. I do enjoy books like this from time to time.

Yvonne said...

I have this one in my TBR. It really sounds like a cute one.

Anonymous said...

Hmm...lot of people have recommended this to me, since I usually appreciate a good chick-lit. But this one doesn't sound very good at all

Marg said...

I struggled with this book because I just didn't like the main characters at all. I really surprised myself by liking the sequel though! I enjoy the occasional chick lit book, but I am not sure I will ever name Emily Giffin as one of my favourites. I should really read another book of hers to see how it works for me.

Anna said...

I don't read too much chick lit either but they're good light reading from time to time. I have this book somewhere but I haven't read it yet.

--Anna
Diary of an Eccentric