Thursday, February 25, 2010

BTT: Why I read

btt button

“To read, when one does so of one’s own free will, is to make a volitional statement, to cast a vote; it is to posit an elsewhere and set off toward it. And like any traveling, reading is at once a movement and a comment of sorts about the place one has left. To open a book voluntarily is at some level to remark the insufficiency either of one’s life or one’s orientation toward it.”

To what extent does this describe you?

I don't think I truly understand this. I read because I have always been reading since I was a five year old. The words gives me pleasure, take me into a journey, to new places. My imagination too grows leaps and bounds, in all directions. For me the big question is, how can one NOT read?

With books, I am never lonely. I don't miss anyone when I am reading. It is learning process for me. And it also helps me to come in turns with me. Reading has also made me a better poet. I learn new words as well. My memory power sharpens. Entertainment and escape are just two other aspects.

What do you think?

10 comments:

Melody said...

I'm with you there!

Morgan said...

I agree with every word you said. Reading never gets lonely and you experience something you normally wouldn't get to. Also reading has made me a better writer and brings me hope. Reading is the best.

Barbara H. said...

I read the quote a number of times and am not sure I quite understand it either, but I agree there are many pleasures in and reasons for reading.

Lori said...

I agree. Here's Mine

Jennifer said...

Absolutely! "How can one not read?" I could not agree more. My BTT: http://www.rundpinne.com/2010/02/booking-through-thursday-why-i-read.html

Anonymous said...

I love my life, but reading does supply the adventure, far off place, excitement that I don't have on a day to day basis. The people I meet, the places I see, the things I learn when I'm reading are invaluable. I can remember when my daughter was first born, between baby, work, husband, home, I didn't make time for reading and after a while I honestly felt like my brain was turning to mush.

fredamans said...

I also agree with you. I dislike this quote.

http://fredasvoice.blogspot.com/2010/02/booking-through-why-you-read.html

Robin M said...

I disliked the quote as well but I think it was taken entirely out of context. I read the actual article (which is linked on my blog) and he doesn't say anything of the sort. Argues more for the act of reading a real book and what reading does for you. Nothing about insufficiency. My post is up now.

http://www.mytwoblessings.com/2010/02/booking-through-thursday-why-you-read.html

Anonymous said...

I like your point about learning new words. This is important to me as well. I look up words that I'm unsure of while I read and write the definitions in the margins.

Here's my response:

http://everybookandcranny.wordpress.com/2010/02/25/booking-through-thursday-why-read/

Barbara said...

this quote has got people thinking and discussing -- that's what books do!

Here's my answer

http://blog.readinggroupchoices.com/content/blog/barbara/10/february/btt-225-reading-booksinsufficient-life