Saturday, August 22, 2009

Weekly Geeks: Why haven't I read this yet?


This week, tell us about a book (or books) you have been meaning to read. What is it? How long have you wanted to read it? And, why haven't you read it yet?


One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez

Synopsis from Amazon:

The story follows 100 years in the life of Macondo, a village founded by José Arcadio Buendía and occupied by descendants all sporting variations on their progenitor's name: his sons, José Arcadio and Aureliano, and grandsons, Aureliano José, Aureliano Segundo, and José Arcadio Segundo. Then there are the women--the two Úrsulas, a handful of Remedios, Fernanda, and Pilar--who struggle to remain grounded even as their menfolk build castles in the air. If it is possible for a novel to be highly comic and deeply tragic at the same time, then One Hundred Years of Solitude does the trick. Civil war rages throughout, hearts break, dreams shatter, and lives are lost, yet the effect is literary pentimento, with sorrow's outlines bleeding through the vibrant colors of García Márquez's magical realism.


This novel is on my TBR pile for the last three years. I have been meaning to get to it since the day I bought it but somehow never done so till date. I like Marquez's writing and have devoured all his short story collections.

21 comments:

Maree said...

Oh ... One Hundred Years of Solitude is one of my favourite books. I've read it three times.
Happy Weekly Geeks :)

Missy B. said...

I decided to join in today! :)

http://missysbooknook.blogspot.com/2009/08/weekly-geeks.html

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

This is a hard read. I won't lie. But man, is it worth it.

Ceri said...

Same here. Love in the Time of Cholera has been on my TBR list since the beginning of the year but I've never managed to get round to it.

rhapsodyinbooks said...

Well, gosh, I read it and totally forgot it, so sometimes it doesn't even matter if you have read it or not! :--)

Unknown said...

Oh yeah, another one I've meaning to read. I know though why I was avoiding this one: the author's style of writing is difficult IMO and I'm a little worried I won't like it.

bermudaonion said...

I have a few books that have been languishing in my TBR pile for a while - when they get pushed to the back or the bottom, I forget about them sometimes.

Unknown said...

That is buried in my TBR pile too! I did buy Love in the Time of Cholera this weekend though, so I think I'll get round to that one first - so many books I need to read!

Trisha said...

I just finished Love in the Time of Cholera by Marquez this past week, and my review can be found here. One Hundred Years of Solitude is also on my list; although it's pretty far down my overwhelming TBR list.

My Weekly Geeks is here.

claire said...

You're in for such a treat, Gautami! This is one of my all-time favourite books ever. I loved Love in the Time of Cholera more, just because I related to it more and because it was my first Garcia Marquez (very memorable), but this one tops my all-time list as well. Hope you enjoy! And really, you should get to it soon. :D

Kim said...

I just seem to pass right on by this book when I see it on the shelves. It does sound interesting though. Maybe this year will be your year---you still have 4 months left to squeeze it in! ;)
*smiles*
Kim

Anonymous said...

I've started this book twice...I think I've officially given up on it.

ds said...

I. Love. This. Book. It is one of those that get re-read periodically, just because. Do read it, Gautami, and soon. If you have raced through his short stories, you will like this!!

Frances said...

One of my all time favorite books - a complex yet limpidly delivered of, among other things, the cyclical nature of human experience. Happy reading!

pussreboots said...

My husband owns a copy of One Years of Solitude but he hated it. I haven't been tempted to read it. My post is here.

Pam said...

I am right there with you. I MUST get there but I just haven't had time. Hope you enjoy it!

Mon said...

3 years! ok, that beats my 2 year piles..... lol

Kerrie said...

I think one of the problems is Gautami that the longer they are there the less appealing they become

Kristen said...

Again, an author that I keep thinking I should read, but never do

Michelle said...

This is on my list too, but after reading Love in the Time of Cholera, I'm not certain it is close to the top of the list. Good luck on reading it!

Marg said...

I loved this book when I read it. I think it definitely helped though that I did read it as part of a group so there was lots of analysis and discussion!

I have since read a few more Marquez books and really like them a lot.