Saturday, August 29, 2009

Weekly Geeks : I collect books not titles!


This week "Weekly Geeks" question is:

Do you have a collection, of one particular book title? If so, what's your story?
  
Or perhaps you dream about starting such a collection. What title would it be and what would it take for you to get motivated to start collecting?

Or maybe it's the works of a particular author you collect (or want to collect) instead a certain book title?


I am not one of those to have a multiple copies one single title. If ever any of my book duplicates, I simply give it away. I need the space for my other books.

I am more into authors. I own almost all the Enid Blytons, Agatha Christies and the Perry Mason Series by Erly Stanely Gardener. My middle brother used to collect Alistair MacLeans which have ended up with me along with the Robert Ludlums. I have all the Ayn Rand books and I also own most of the classics.

Now I am in a collection spree of poetry books. Mostly new contemporary poets as I already own works of the great masters like ShakespeareWordsworth, Coleridge, Keats, Browning, Burns and many, many more including Frost, Plath, Neruda, Sandburg, Parker etc. etc.. Being a poet myself, I am intrigued by the poetic minds of poets. I post here covers of three very contemporary poetry books:



12 comments:

serendipity_viv said...

I started to collect all the Enid Blyton books. I think they are a lovely thing to keep.

Suko said...

That means you're a bookworm, rather than a bibliophile. Great post!

Ceri said...

Great choices there - I'm definitely going to do this Weekly Geeks.

Ahh, Enid Blyton - that takes me back :)

Frances said...

I think that this is a great time to collect poetry. There are so many lovely editions being published now. Many are not just about the poetry but also wonderfully represent the book as object as well. Great stuff! Have you seen the Faber & Faber anniversary poetry collection? Soooo gorgeous! Happy reading!

Anonymous said...

I'm collecting Nick Bantock books. They are so beautifully illustrated.

Staci said...

I like your collection. I guess I collect Austen's books but that's about it.

Emily Harring said...

I love Plath, she's great (:

I, also, like to "collect" books from authors, instead of having multiple copies of one novel. The only time that happens is when I read a book for school and like it, then I rebuy it so I can read it again without those nasty highlights (:

Mon said...

I would like to expand my poetry collection for sure. Perhaps if I return to England.
That Villianess collection sure looks inetresting.

Dark Alice said...

I have a couple of poetry books. By Sylvia Plath I have The Collossus. My favorite book of poetry of all time is Crow With No Mouth which are poems by Ikkyu, a Japanese Poet, translated by Stephen Berg. It's really amazing.
My Weekly Geeks is a post about different editions of Lewis Carroll's Alice's Adventures in Wonderland.

Happy Weekly Geeks!

Robin M said...

Yes, I'm more into authors and reading all their books rather than collected the same book over and over. Interesting question.

ds said...

Oh, I loved the Perry Mason books, and went through my own small Alistair MacLean phase (& there is no one quite like Dame Agatha, is there?). But I'm most intrigued by that last poetry title: Magdalene and the Mermaid. Am definitely going to look for that one! Thanks!

Unknown said...

I agree with you, I am also more of an author than a single title person and do own multiple titles of one author.