Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Wednesday: Wondrous Words/A-Z Wednesday

wordyweds

Wondrous Word Wednesday is hosted by Kathy of BermudaOnion

This week too, I take words from Prince Rupert's Teardrops by Lisa Glass

1) existentialists (page 202): We are all alone; existentialists know it, we all know it in our heart.

existentialism: A philosophy that emphasizes the uniqueness and isolation of the individual experience in a hostile or indifferent universe, regards human existence as unexplainable, and stresses freedom of choice and responsibility for the consequences of one's acts.

2) Crystillery (Page 203): She is here at the crystillery...

Where crystal objects are created from glass

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A-ZWEDNESDAY A-Z Wednesday is hosted by Vicky of Reading at the Beach

THIS WEEK'S LETTER IS: C

Child 44 by Tom Rob Smith

Leo Demidov is a believer, a former war hero who loves his country and wants only to serve it well. He puts contradictions out of his mind and carries on. Until something happens that he cannot ignore. A serial killer of children is on the loose, and the State cannot admit it.

To admit that such a murderer is committing these crimes is itself a crime against the State. Instead of coming to terms with it, the State's official position is that it is merely coincidental that children have been found dead, perhaps from accidents near the railroad tracks, perhaps from a person deemed insane, or, worse still, homosexual. But why does each victim have his or her stomach excised, a string around the ankle, and a mouth full of dirt? Coincidence? Leo, in disgrace and exiled to a country village, doesn't think so. How can he prove it when he is being pursued like a common criminal himself? He and his wife, Raisa, set out to find the killer.

14 comments:

Book Dragon said...

Good morning and thanks for stopping by. Child 44 sounds interesting.

You're right, I see a Circle of Souls everywhere. I think the author sent out a lot hoping some would remember to post a review!

and for those that come after...I've got three memes on one post today.

Waiting On, A-Z, and Wishful Wednesday

bermudaonion said...

As many times as I've heard existentialistism, I've never really known a definition for it. Crystillery is a totally new word for me. Thanks for participating!

Margot at Joyfully Retired said...

Some interesting words you have from the Prince Rupert book.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the definition of existentialism. Child 44 has been on my list for a while, but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

Nise' said...

Sounds like a book I would like. I will have to check it out.

Natalie W said...

Not only do you need to understand the word , you need to say it correctly!LOL I'm having a hard time existentialism , maybe i haven't had enough coffee this morning!
Great post.
Natalie

Lisa notes... said...

Existentialists--I hear that word at church, for some reason. I like "crystillery".

Anonymous said...

Those words are new to me too!!

Child 44 sounds really good!!!

Thanks for playing A-Z Wednesday!

Unknown said...

Thanks for posting this. Sounds interesting, and I never heard of this book.

A-Z Wednesday

Unknown said...

I've known of existentialists since having a course on such writers movement in college. can't say I'm a fan really.

The Bookworm said...

I have Child44 in my TBR.
http://thebookworm07.blogspot.com/

Kinga said...

Ah, I actually read this! I am curious what others think -
honestly, I did not like it too much, although the thriller part was ok but I found the circumstances (communist Russia) pretty pretentious (I lived next to and under their rule in the first 29 years of my life I am from Hungary).

Nevertheless I was excited to find a book that I had already read!

Bryan R. Terry said...

When I saw the Letter was C, my first thought was Child 44 as I had just picked up the paperback. Then I come here and see you've beat me to the punch, so I had to pick a new one!

Mine is HERE

Shannansbooks said...

Cool words. I have heard of existentionalist but never knew what it meant. I love learning new words.