Sunday, August 9, 2009

Mondays: Mailbox/whereabouts

Musing Mondays (BIG)
Do you have a favourite publishing house -- one that puts out books that you constantly find yourself wanting to read? If so, who? And, what books have they published that you've loved?

I don't really think publishing houses matter that much to me. Some times the well known publishing houses publish complete trash and lesser known ones publish really good books. The so called best sellers published by famous publishing houses are not what I seek.

I do steer clear of self published novels but I can read self published poetry books s though. Thats about it.

But I must mention Penguin here. They are always publishing classics in a big way.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Monday Mailbox is hosted by Marcia, In My Mailbox is hosted by The Story Siren and New Crayons is hosted by Color Online. Check all three which are related to books you receive in the past week.

I received 2 books:

1). Tommy Gun Tango by Brant Randall/Bruce Cook--ARC from the author

2). Prince Rupert's Teardrops by Lisa Glass---From the author






~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It's Monday! What Are You Reading This Week? is a weekly event hosted by J. Kaye of J. Kaye's Book Blog, "to list the books completed last week, the books currently being read, and the books to be finish this week."

I finished the following:

1). Tommy Gun Tango by Brant Randall/Bruce Cook

2). Kill For Me by Karen Rose

3). Best Intentions by Emily Listfield

I am in the midst of reading:

Prince Rupert's Teardrops by Lisa Glass

Dragon Rider by Cornelia Funke

Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoyevsky

The Mercy Seller by Brenda Rickman Vantrease

Reviewed:

Tommy Gun Tango by Brant Randall/Bruce Cook


25 comments:

Nan said...

I have something for you here: http://nanscorner.wordpress.com/2009/08/09/sunday-salon-a-busy-week/

Have a great day!

a flight of minds said...

I remember reading Dragon Rider a few years back. :) I liked it a lot.

- Alex

Wendy said...

Gautami: You won a book! Visit my blog for details :)

Unknown said...

I do have a few publishing houses I favor, now that I think of it. Penguin Classics is one of them. I bought lots of Virago Modern Classics once upon a time. The feature lots of formerly out of print women authors. I pay close attention of New York Review of Books or NYRB Books thesedays. The feature many books and authors I've never heard of that turn out to be quite interesting.

Serena said...

Looks like a great couple of books...happy reading

caite said...

I have to agree with you about the self published books...often so very bad.

Brooke from The Bluestocking Guide said...

I don't pay too much attention to the publishing house. Here is mine

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

I just picked up a book by Emily Listfield called : Waiting to Surface (it's the one before the one you have).

Susan said...

Penguin does have some good classics editions. Here's my response.

Alaine said...

What did you think of Dragon Rider? I've read one of Cornelia Funkes but haven't picked up another yet.

Have a great reading week!

Yvonne said...

Publishing houses aren't a big deal to me either. Sometimes I just happen to buy books from a particular publishing house because of a series.

Enjoy your books!

Kristen said...

I've been contemplating the Russian Classics like Dostoyevski for a while now - one day!

BurtonReview said...

Looking forward to your review on the Illuminator ;)

Anna said...

You always get the most interesting books. Happy reading!

--Anna
Diary of an Eccentric

Kristen said...

The cover of Tommy Gun Tango reminds me of the lamp in A Christmas Story (or In God We Trust, All Others Pay Cash if you want to go with the book form). Prince Rupert's Teardrop looks interesting. Will be curious to read your review when you finish it.

As to consistently good publishers, I really like Algonquin and have for nigh on 20 years now. They consistently publish high quality stuff.

Anonymous said...

Oh yes! I have Best Intentions by Emily Listfield on my shelf too. Heard nothing but great things about it.

Book Dragon said...

Thanks for stopping by.

I've got Dragon Rider on my shelf and Kill for Me on my wish list.

Teddyree said...

Nice line-up of books you have there, happy reading!
Here's my Monday post

The Bookworm said...

I like buying the classics from Penguin too.

Looks like you got some great books in the mail this week.

Happy reading :)

http://thebookworm07.blogspot.com/

Katrina said...

I haven't read a self published book but from the buzz around I don't think I am going to.

Allison said...

I like Penguin Publishing, too. They tend to put out some good books. I think the publisher actually matters a lot.. I also tend to like scholastic (being a former teacher and all...)

Bee said...

Great reading list!Good luck with you reading this week!
Thanks for commenting and visiting my blog!
Big Hugs, Bethxx

bermudaonion said...

I'm with you - it's not the publisher that matters, it's the author!

Park Avenue Princess said...

I don't think I look for any special publishers. Authors...that's a different story! : )

Thanks for having me on your blog and I hope you'll stop by mine as well.

xoxo Amy (Park-Avenue Princess)

Tracey said...

I look forward to your review of Crime and Punishment. I remember it being very intense and taking me forever to finish!