Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Room by Emma Donoghue

Eggsnake is more longer than all around Room, we’ve been making him since I was three, he lives in Under Bed all coiled up keeping us safe. Most of his eggs are brown but sometimes there’s a white, some have patterns on from pencils or crayons or Pen or bits stuck on with flour glue, a foil crown and a yellow ribbon belt and threads and bits of tissue for hairs.
~Page 21

Title: Room
Author: Emma Donoghue
ISBN: 9780330519021
Publisher: Picador/2011
Pages: 401


The novel opens with the 5th birthday of Jack, a bright, babbling boy, who is looking forward to his birthday. He knows his Ma will make things for him, spoil him and be very good to him. But the reader does not that they are living a small space, cut off from the world. Their whole world is that room. Jack does not anything that is outside. Outside for him is in TV. And inside is what it is. Ma and Jack are friends with every inanimate object they have. Al there is the room is shared by both. Nothing belongs to just one of them.

How did they come about into that room? Ma, (she has no name) was kidnapped from her college campus by a psychopath when she was 19. And she has been held captive in a soundproof room, hidden from the world. Jack is born in that tiny space. The man who kidnapped her is known as "Old Nick". And when he visits Ma, Jack is sent into the wardrobe where Ma keeps him hidden. She doesn't want "old Nick" to see him, interact with him, although the boy is obviously a result of his visits. 

Jack is very bright, intelligent and knowledgeable. Ma tries to teach him as much as she can, fully well knowing their situation. She knows that they have to escape somehow and plants ideas about their escape in Jack's mind. And the escape is on Easter. 

The Outside is not all hunky-dory for Jack. He wants to go back. When his Ma is rescued too, he wishes for both to be back in that room. Ma has a tough time to adjust too.

The novel alludes to many real and allegory things. It is not an easy read but once you start, you can't put it down. One loves Jack instantaneously. The novel speaks about a mother's love for her child and to protect him at any cost. We do see Ma getting lost into herself completely and Jack somehow understands that. The novel is not explicit. It touches a very serious crime yet it is so beautiful. Made more so by Jack and his Ma, their relationship. I say, a must read!

One of the best books I read. Thanks to Aisle B. for my copy.

21 comments:

Shari said...

This sounds really great! You can see mine at http://myneuroticbookaffair.blogspot.com/2011/05/teaser-tuesday-5302011-insight-insight.html if you so desire. Have a great week! Shari

Playing Librarian said...

Been hearing good things about this book.

Here's mine from The Painted Veil by W.Somerset Maugham.

http://www.playinglibrarian.com/2011/05/teaser-tuesdays-painted-veil.html

Tea said...

Good Teaser. Seems like the type of book where you want to, sometimes, read lines again.

http://readwithtea.blogspot.com/2011/05/teaser-tuesday_31.html

Pam (@iwriteinbooks) said...

Wow I'm glad everyone seems to dig this book. Great teaser, too. It's definitely on my list (I'm trying to read all of the Orange Prize Short List selections before the winner is picked and this one is up for it) but the premise just seems so creepy!

Yvonne said...

I have heard so many great things about this book. I really need to read it.

My teaser is here.

Gigi Ann said...

I haven't heard of this book, but it sounds like everyone likes it. Interesting teaser.

Nise' said...

I listened to this book and the voice of Jack was annoying. Wish I had read it instead.

Mine is here.

fredamans said...

Fab review and teaser! I want to read this one!

THE GRAND PLAN TO FIX EVERYTHING

Heather said...

I have heard a lot about this one. Sounds good, though perhaps quite an emotional read. My teaser: To Kill a Mockingbird

Anonymous said...

Sounds intriguing, a must read.

http://tributebooksmama.blogspot.com/2011/05/teaser-tuesday_31.html

Deepali said...

Oh review review review! Heard both good and bad things about Room - not sure if I want to read it :)

Aisle B said...

You've made me want to pick it up now. I've been so hesitant but I now have to pick it up and get my own copy. Will order mine.

You're welcome and happy it came through with flying colours.

Style, Decor & More said...

Sounds interesting. I haven't read any good books lately so I may have to try this!

I'm a new follower from the over 40 blog hop! So nice to meet you! Hope you can hop by and visit my blog too!
nancy
http://stylendecordeals.blogspot.com/

Judylynn said...

Oh, yes, this one was one of my favorite books EVER! So glad to see you liked it as well.

Judy @ Seize the Book Blog

http://www.seizethebookblog.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

I just skimmed your review because I won this in a giveaway and already feel like I know too much. I read enough to know you loved it and that's enough for me :)

Cindy Swanson said...

This does sound fascinating...reminds me so much of that poor young girl in California that was held captive in a little shed.

Great review. I hope you'll stop by mine:

My review of Doomsday Book by Connie Willis

Teddyree said...

Excellent review, can't wait to read this one!

Sheila (Bookjourney) said...

SO glad you read and enjoyed this one!

Beth(bookaholicmom) said...

I thought this book was brilliant. It was so different from anything I have ever read. Great review!

Dawn @ sheIsTooFondOfBooks said...

The audio edition was very well done, too, for those who like audiobooks.

Definitely explored sensitive subjects without being graphic, a fine balance which Donoghue carried perfectly.

Espana said...

This book is mesmerizing. I read a few of the one star reviews because I was really intrigued to find out why people would not love this book and to be fair, the first few pages are a little tiresome. It takes a while to adjust to Jack's voice and I did wonder whether it would flip to Ma's voice later in the novel but it doesn't. It's only when I finished the novel though that I realised how important those first few pages are in establishing what "Room" is really like. It's key to unveiling the impact of what happens later. The novel takes turns I didn't expect and the last 100 pages are compelling - I couldn't put it down. The conflict between Ma's needs and Jack's needs is insightful and I genuinely think this novel is unique.