Monday, May 26, 2014

Monday: Mailbox/What Am I Reading?

Mailbox Monday is a gathering place for readers to share the books that came into their house last week and explore great book blogs. Mailbox Monday can lead to envy, toppling TBR piles and humongous wish lists. It has finally found a permanent  home at Mailbox Monday with the following new administrators:

Leslie of Under My Apple Tree
Serena of Savvy Verse & Wit
Vicki of I'd Rather Be at the Beach

I received the following, thanks to the authors/publicists:

Under the Silent Moon by Elizabeth Haynes

Two women share one fate.

A suspected murder at an English Farm. A reported suicide at a local quarry.

In the crisp, early hours of an autumn morning, the police are called to investigate two deaths. The first is a suspected murder at a farm on the outskirts of a small village. A beautiful young woman has been found dead, her cottage drenched with blood. The second is a reported suicide at a nearby quarry. A car with a woman's body inside was found at the bottom of the pit.

As DCI Louisa Smith and her team gather evidence, they discover a shocking link between the two cases and the two deaths-a bond that sealed their terrible fates one cold night, under a silent moon.

In this first entry in a compelling new detective series, Elizabeth Haynes interweaves fictional primary source materials-police reports, phone messages, interviews-and multiple character viewpoints to create a sexy, edgy, and compulsively readable tale of murder, mystery, and unsettling suspense.

The Qualities of Wood by Mary Vensel White

A haunting and beautifully written debut novel by an exciting new talent. When Betty Gardiner dies, leaving behind an unkempt country home, her grandson and his young wife take a break from city life to prepare the house for sale. Nowell Gardiner leaves first to begin work on his second mystery novel. By the time his wife Vivian joins him, a real mystery has begun: a local girl has been found dead in the woods behind the house. Even after the death is ruled an accident, Vivian can't forget the girl, can't ignore the strange behaviour of her neighbours, or her husband. As Vivian attempts to put the house in order, all around her things begin to fall apart. 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hosted by Sheila @ One Person's Journey Through a World of BooksWe discuss the books that we've read and what we're planning to read for the week.

 I finished reading the following (5):

91. Their Virgin Captive by Shayla Black (Erotica)
90. Taken By the Duke by Jess Michaels (Historical Romance)
89. Song for Sophia by Moriah Densley (Historical Romance)**
88. Unforgivable by Joanna Chambers (Historical Romance)
87. Tennessee Bride by Rosanne Bittner (Historical Romance)


I am in the midst of reading:

Heads I Win, Tails You Lose by S.H. Villa 
Damnatio Memoriae by Michael Meyerhofer
ugly to start with by John Michael Cummings 

I posted reviews of the following:


  • Unseen by John Michael Hileman
  • Jubilee's Journey by Bette Lee Crosby
  • Silver Threads by Jade Kennedy
  • The Truth Will Out by Jane Isaac
  • To Sleep...Perchance to Die by Donald R. Grippo

  • 12 comments:

    bermudaonion said...

    Your new books sound terrific! I hope you have another great reading week.

    Nise' said...

    Elizabeth Haynes' books are so good. I've got one sitting on my stacks. Have a great reading week.

    The Reading Date said...

    I've heard good things about Elizabeth Haynes' books. Hope you enjoy!

    Tanya Patrice said...

    I like the sound of The Qualities of Wood! It's one I haven't heard of before - I love discovering new books :-) Have a great week!

    Mary (Bookfan) said...

    I hope they're both good mysteries.

    Kathy Martin said...

    I admire your ability to read more books in a week than you receive. I'm still working on that and my TBR mountain keeps growing. Come see my week here. Happy reading!

    Catherine @ Book Club Librarian said...

    I like your new books--they are new to me and I've added Under the Silent Moon and The Qualities of Wood to my Goodreads list.

    My post: http://www.bookclublibrarian.com/2014/05/weekly-book-recap-68.html

    Elizabeth said...

    The Qualities Of Wood sounds so good.

    I have it to read.

    THANKS for the preview.

    Have a great reading week.

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My Mailbox Monday

    Cheryl said...

    Oh, both of these sounds amazing. I added the first one to my Wish List.

    You've read so much lately. Good for you. My reading time has been almost none these days.

    Hope you'll visit http://www.thebusymomsdaily.com/2014/05/mailbox-monday-may-26.html

    Laurel-Rain Snow said...

    Under the Silent Moon looks good (I have Into the Darkest Corner).

    Enjoy!

    Here's
    MY WEEKLY SUNDAY/MONDAY UPDATES POST

    Juli Rahel said...

    'The Qualities of Wood' sounds absolutely amazing! And the cover is very beautiful and tranquil! I'm always so jealous of all the reading you manage to do! I should really make more time for reading! Thanks for sharing :) I hope you enjoy all of them!
    My Monday posts
    Juli @ Universe in Words

    Serena said...

    Qualities of Wood sounds great.