Friday, May 23, 2014

Friday 56: Unseen by John Michael Hileman


"What kind of life did you have planned for him, Holly? Oh, that's right, you don't have a plan. How many years will he suffer because you decided to bring him into the world? If I were to butcher him in cold blood, he would suffer less than what you have in store for him.”

Posted foThe Friday 56, which is hosted by Freda's Voice

Unseen by John Michael Hileman

Jake starts seeing pregnant women, toddlers and an old woman. Only he can see them. And then his estranged sister, Holly's son is kidnapped. Most likely by a serial killer who targets children from single mothers.

How are these two connected? But why are they only seen by him? The children Jake sees are not ghosts. 

We see two parallel stories going in there. And both keep us engrossed. Revealing more would spoil the story. This novel did not get much publicity but it is very engrossing and the supernatural element keeps us going. The characters are  flawed in a realistic way. The conclusion of the book was worth it.

17 comments:

Catherine @ Book Club Librarian said...

Sounds strange, eerie, and disturbing.

My Friday post: http://www.bookclublibrarian.com/2014/05/friday-focus-friday-56-book-beginnings_23.html

Katherine P said...

That's a very scary excerpt. The book sounds really good but I'm not sure I could handle it!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like twisted logic to me. I'm intrigued.
My Friday 56

Juli Rahel said...

Not quite sure whether I agree with the sentiments expressed in the F56! Although I of course don't know what the mother has done! And seeing pregnant people that no one else can see must be scary! Thanks for sharing :) I hope you have a great weekend!
My Friday Memes
Juli @ Universe in Words

Yvonne said...

Great 56! Sounds good.

Harvee said...

Good to hear athe ending was worth it!

fredamans said...

WOW, that would be hard to hear. Intriguing though.

Happy weekend!

Brooke Showalter said...

Wow, what an intense segment.

Check out my Friday 56.

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

Oh, definitely a weird, scary book! Thanks for sharing...and for visiting my blog.

Anonymous said...

What an intriguing excerpt and description.

Here is my Friday 56 post!

LuAnn @ BackPorchervations said...

That is one SPOOKY quote! It almost makes it seem like the serial killer is someone Holly knows!

LadyD Piano said...

I'm terrified!! You have a brave heart for this intriguing read. I'll stay with children's books! :=)

Bea said...

It sounds spooky and enthralling. I have to wonder about how awful a mother Holly is and also whether the speaker is a liar or deluded.

Thought provoking pick!

Tessa said...

An interesting premise. Even thought I am not really a thriller person, I might have to pick this one up.

guiltlessreader said...

Oh man. This sounds a little scary!

Cheryl said...

Very creepy sounding book. Thanks for sharing. I appreciate your visit to The Busy Mom's Daily.

Cassie said...

Did you hear my jaw drop? I'm not even sure if I want to know (read) more or not.
Thanks for stopping by my blog! Happy reading!